[meteorite-list] Self Proclaimed Pairing List

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 13 07:36:07 2004

Roman and List,

I have had some surprising results using acid to clean meteorites. I have a
piece of Zag that I cleaned about 4 years ago and it looks like it fell
yesterday. Fresh as can be with no stains. I think many newbie collectors
would be fooled that this slice is from a fresh fall. Bernd would probably
know the truth from a mile off though.

I have also cleaned Juancheng, Selma and many NWA's with great results.
Some others, however, just don't want to clean up. Perhaps as the stain
ages it becomes more engrained in the stones?

Of course I don't clean all my meteorites because I am not 100% sure of long
term affects. Will it crumble in 10 years? etc.. I also think there is
some merit to have "unaltered" specimens.

Cheers,

tett
Owen Sound, Ontario

P.S. Roman. No can do in November. December?