[meteorite-list] Ibitira--Not An HED Achrondrite

From: Michael Fowler <mqfowler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 17:45:15 2004

In doing research prior to purchasing an 18.5 gram slice of Ibitira, I
came across the following:

Ibitira: A basaltic achondrite from a distinct parent asteroid by
David W. Mittlefehldt submitted: 13 October 2004 Meteoritics &
Planetary Science

link to pdf download: http://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/mittlefehldt/Ibitira.pdf

Apparently Ibitira is a unique representative of a fifth parent body
with a basaltic (crust?). The others are represented by NWA 011, the
Angrites, Mesosiderites, and the HED's from Vesta.

Any comments, especially David Weir??

My goal, as a collector is to obtain a type specimen from as many
different parent bodies as possible. Since there are more than 135
such bodies, and I have representatives of 25, I have a ways to go!

Mike Fowler
Chicago