Re-2: [meteorite-list] Essex, California H5 Meteorite Main Mass

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 17:06:03 2004

Hello Bernd, Matt and list,

Re: http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colessex.html

They appear to be shock veins to me. As Bernd noted in the sixth photo, you
can see more clearly, that only about half the stone has cracks...or
fractures in it. The black veins are present in areas where the cracks are
not present. I should note it appears to be a fairly fresh and very solid
stone.

Another Essex slice and photos of the finder and complete mass, are seen on
the little Essex write-up I did back in April (for May, Meteorite Times).

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/Essex.html

Hard to see in the photo, the right side has shock veins. Almost all slices
I have seen have shock veins. Moore didn't assign the stone a shock rating
(nor a weathering grade), but I would estimate it a S4.

The finder made me a cool silver-Essex meteorite pendent as a thank you for
the article on the meteorite several months. I will try to find it and take
some photosgraphs sometime. I hope he didn't break the end to make it.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com