[meteorite-list] Ad Ebay meteorites

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 01:50:20 2004

Hi Again,

To be fair, I believe Mike does his best to get a unique number for each
piece he brings back. My biggest complaint is those who do not care to make
their pieces official by submitting type specimens to NomCom authorized
laboratories and then have the nerve to borrow numbers at will. Several
dealers have been fooled by material that was sold by Moroccans making their
own pairing judgements just to find out it was something completely
different. Most will not admit this but we have been fooled a couple of
times ourselves as laboratory testing later proved. This demonstrates the
importance of making pieces official.

In every collectibles market there are groups that authenticate and rate the
goods. With baseball cards it is either PSA or BGS. A baseball card may be
worth $1,200.00 but not before being rated by a recognized non-biased
authority. A card that has not been rated is worth on the average 15 cents.
The same card rated by BGS scoring a 9.5 could be worth thousands of times
more. The same applies for coins. If dealers were allowed to rate their
own coins without having them blocked the standards would soon disappear and
consumer confidence would disappear with it.

I think a studied, NomCom approved and named meteorite should be more
appreciated than one that is not. The borrowing of NWA numbers has been
abused to the point where there is little incentive to collect meteorites
anymore, just look at market! Where is the consumer confidence?

Steps are already in play to improve the situation. Expect a formal
statement from a well regarded authority soon.

Wishing everybody the best,

Adam