[meteorite-list] Montrose, CO meteor

From: Marc D. Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 25 18:05:24 2004

...and to peg the nerd meter, "steel" is iron containing less than 2%
carbon, where gamma iron begins to form at temps greater than between 1333
(at the eutectic) and 2066 deg F. However I'd say that, since nickel
replaces carbon as the alloying element with the biggest effect on
material properties, it's probably more proper to call it iron-nickel
alloy or taenite or kamacite or what-not.

Oh, and anything greater than 2% carbon is iron, as in cast iron or grey
iron or something like that based on the form the carbon takes.

Drop in a quarter and listen to the nerdy one ramble. :)

Cheers,
MDF

--
Marc D. Fries, Ph.D.