[meteorite-list] "Columbia Basin tektites"?

From: Paul H <bristolia_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 21 14:49:53 2004

Marc D. Fries asked:

>I see that someone is offering "newly discovered
>Columbia basin tektites" on ebay right now.
>Has anyone heard of these? I haven't heard
>anything about them until now and my
>skepticism meter is pegged

Given that these alleged "tektites" look like
water-rolled pieces of basaltic scoria and the
Columbia Plateau is composed of basaltic volcanic
rocks, I would be extremely skeptical of these
so-called "tektites". I would certainly request a
written money back guarantee of their authenticity
and documented authentication in writing of their
identity before even considering their purchase.

Yours,

Paul
Baton Rouge, LA