[meteorite-list] weird diogenite

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 21 12:16:02 2004

I recently purchased a few small stones of a unbrecciated monomict
diogenite. They all had a fair bit of weathering and little or no fusion
crust present. One of the stones had fairly severe surface pitting. I had
assumed that this was wind erosion, and decided to cut it up to make a few
nice slices and end pieces. It turns out that this surface pitting was
actually a manifestation of vessiculation that was evident throughout the
stone. The other stones did not exhibit any sort of vessiculation either on
the surface, or on the one slice I made in another stone after seeing this
odd characteristic. The vessicals were in the range of 3-6 mm I'd say, and
were abundant through out the slices I made, in other words, I cant see any
reason why the cut int eh second stone would NOT show the same
characteristic. Macroscopically (asside from the vessicals) both the pitted
and unpitted stones look identical, as do they look the same under
microscopic examination.

Anyone have any idea as to what could cause something like this?

TIA