[meteorite-list] Lunar Silent Auction Reminder

From: nakhladog_at_comcast.net <nakhladog_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 13 14:53:19 2004

Hello again all-

Only a couple days left to make an offer on these two lunars. They will cost a whole lot more if they are cut. All serious offers are being considered. Info and URL's below. This is a great opportunity for dealers and collectors to get a great deal as a collection piece or resale opportunity.

32.5 gram main mass endcut
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robandcolleen11197/album?.dir=/ddd8

57 gram main mass endcut
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robandcolleen11197/album?.dir=/28f8

Rob

I am able to offer you a very rare opportunity on some lunar material that I
got an exceptional price on. While the dollars are still large, I am looking
to move these quickly and offer them at a price that would be a dream come
true for collectors and dealers alike. Anyone out there ever looking to own
a main mass lunar has that within reach and anyone looking to double or
triple their money by cutting them has the opportunity as well.

I am not going to disclose the reserve, to do so could cause great harm to
the future of the lunar market. This will be a silent auction, the bidders
and offers will be kept confidential.

I will reply to all emails before Saturday when a buyer will be decided or
the offer dies. Consortiums welcomed, talk among yourselves and split it how
you wish, there is plenty to go around. 90 grams.

Again, this is the lowest price lunar material has ever been knowingly
offered for.

So make me an offer I can't refuse, you would be shocked at how low I am
willing to go but you must consider how high another might.

You may offer on either of them, or both.

503-693-6427 Pacific

Rob Wesel
------------------
We are the music makers...
and we are the dreamers of the dreams.
Willy Wonka, 1971

>From The Meteoritical Bulletin No. 87

Dhofar 307
19°19.7'N, 54°46.9'E
Oman
2001 April 14
Lunar meteorite (anorthositic impact melt breccia)

A light-grey stone weighing 50 g was found in the Dhofar region of Oman.
Mineralogy and classification (M. Nazarov, Vernad, L. Taylor, UTenn): fusion
crust is absent; the meteorite is an impact melt breccia; fine-grained
impact melt is most abundant; mineral fragments and rare lithic clasts of
anorthositic, troctolitic, and gabbro- noritic compositions occur in the
impact-melt matrix; the presence of rare dunite fragments is a
characteristic feature of the meteorite; glass veins are common; feldspar,
An89-98; orthopyroxene, Wo1-5En50- 90; clinopyroxene; Wo6-48En40-75;,
olivine, Fo38-94 (Fe/Mn = 92 at); accessory minerals are Ti-rich chromite,
Cr-pleonaste, ilmenite (2-6 wt % MgO), troilite, and FeNi metal (8-49 wt%
Ni, 0.3-2.0 wt% Co); composition of the glass veins is SiO2 = 43.8, TiO2 =
0.09, Al2O3 = 30.8, Cr2O3 = 0.09, FeO = 2.58, MnO = 0.05, MgO = 4.06, CaO =
17.3, Na2O = 0.36, K2O = 0.01, P2O5 = 0.02 (wt%); the stone is moderately
weathered; calcite, gypsum, celestite, barite, and Fe hydroxides are
present. Dhofar 307 is most similar in texture and mineral chemistry to
Dhofar 305, found nearby. The meteorites are likely to be paired. Pairing
with Dhofar 081/280, 302, 303, and 306 is also possible. Specimens: type
specimen, 10 g and a thin section, Vernad; main mass with anonymous finder.

32.5 gram main mass endcut

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robandcolleen11197/album?.dir=/ddd8

Dhofar 730
19°19.5' N, 54°47.5' E

Oman
2002 November 9
Lunar meteorite (anorthositic impact-melt breccia)

A light-grey stone weighing 108 g was found in the Dhofar region of Oman.
Mineralogy and classification (M. Nazarov, Vernad; L. Taylor, UTenn): fusion
crust is absent; lithic clasts and mineral fragments set within a
fine-grained impact-melt matrix; the lithic clast population is dominated by
impact-melt breccias and cataclastic granulitic and igneous rocks of
anorthositic and troctolitic compositions; rare dunite fragments are
present; feldspar, An86-98; orthopyroxene, Wo2-4En56-85; clinopyroxene;
Wo6-46En14-71; olivine, Fo55-92 (Fe/Mn ~86 at). Accessory minerals include:
chromite, Crpleonaste, armalcolite, ilmenite, silica, troilite, and FeNi
metal (6-48 wt% Ni; 1-2.4 wt% Co); the stone is moderately weathered;
calcite, gypsum, celestite, barite, and Fe hydroxides are present. The
meteorite may be paired with Dho 302, 303, 305, 306, 307, 309, 310, 311 and
731 found nearby. Specimens: type specimens of 22 g, and a thin section,

--
Rob Wesel