[meteorite-list] Dunite

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 5 16:51:57 2004

Hello List,
Since on the topic of dunite or olivine.
Just a km from where I live there are at least two locations
of large dunite outcrops.
Less than 100 km to the south of me there are three valleys
almost composed of just dunites. One is made into a large scale
open pit mine. Farms has been swallowed by this open pit mine.
In the other valley a large underground mine is being started up as
I write this.
How usual are such large outcrops of dunite/olivine around the world,
like in the US - rockies?
Micro-diamonds has been found in the area here, and toghether
with dunite they both tell the story of bedrock that was once
far deeper into the crust, maybe ~50 km deep. Which nowadays
is at the surface, thanks to tectonic movements.
If anyone is looking for pure dunite, it's not hard for me
to find nice specimens around here.

Bj?rn S?rheim,
in Norway

of deep