[meteorite-list] Estherville Mesosiderite

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 5 15:00:29 2004

Hi, all!
Well this is a pretty kettle of fish! Most of the mesosiderites I have seen
are like Estherville, save that I don't recall any with such nice olivine
crystals, where the metallic component is arranged in a substantial web
through the rocky matrix, but is irregular in distribution, with somewhat
diffuse edges (blobby). Then you have anomalies like Portales Valley, where
the metal in larger pieces is in distinct veins with sharp edges.

We already assume that pallasites are from the core-mantle boundaries of
asteroids large enough to have undergone differentiation at one point in
their lives (before being turned into specimens in our collections!) What
other theories for the formation of mesosiderites, besides the mashing
together of a pallasite body and another rocky body, allow for the
incorporation of the occasional rogue olivine crystal? (Hmmmm, must consider
getting a piece of Estherville, if only for my personal edification...)

On a side note, how many meteorites incorporate dunite as part of their
makeup? The only place I remember hearing about dunite previously was in
Chassigny, since Chassigny is a Martian example of what would be called a
dunite on Earth.

Please forgive my ignorance, and thank you everyone who is willing to help
me fix that problem.
Tracy Latimer