[meteorite-list] Perry to Nininger Letter; Aug. 30, 1952 "Tin Hat Meteorite"

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 5 10:02:32 2004

(Stuart Perry to Harvey Nininger letter, Perry's File copy)
August 30, 1952
Dear Harvey,

Thank you for your letter of August 25 and the very interesting little specimen. It does not look like a possible piece of artificial iron, and I am inclined to think it is a meteorite despite the fact that it does not react for nickel.
As you say, numerous pieces of nickel-free iron have been found which would be called meteorites but for the absence of nickel. It has raised a serious question in my mind as to whether it is not possible for meteoric iron to be nickel-free.
Quite possibly you have a number of such specimens in your collection, and it would be worth while to examine and compare them -- maybe to examine them metallographically.
I think that before sending this little piece to Henderson. I will have some micro-photographs made. It would be necessary only to polish and etch a very small area on the base of the specimen -- not the whole base, but only points where you already have ground it down a little.
We leave for Boston next Wednesday, stay overnight, and home Friday morning. It has been a delightful summer, but we shall be very glad to be home again.
Your kind regards to you and Mrs. Nininger,
(Stuart Perry - name is missing as this is the file copy. The original sent to Nininger would have been signed by Perry)

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.