[meteorite-list] Sudbury Onaping query

From: Roman <Roman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:56 2004

Hi Dave

I see you received no posts from the list yet.

The Sudbury crater was introduced to me around 5 years ago. It's
funny because some of local people living right in the crater do not know
they are living in a crater. The visual area is very different than what I
am used to, so I found the place quite intriguing.

I probably have no real answers for you about your question, but I did
find out that there are reports of extra-terrestrial carbons in the black
onaping.
That means something burned up that was NOT from Earth, agreed?

I can also tell you that I have seen many kilos of cut slabs of onaping, and
some have glassy inclusions, others include highly magnetic areas. You could
get a large slab and roll a small 1/4" round earth magnet ball to find the
attractions.

Other than the beauty of the slices and the history, I really can't help
you.
Did you read this part of my site? It may help a bit more, but the author
does not
include references unfortunately!

 http://www.meteoritelabels.com/Astrobleme.html

Best regards,