[meteorite-list] 'Rites & Wrong Cartoon (2), and Mike Farmer's Park Forest

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:56 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0059_01C415AA.DE9D9770

Janet's complete response: "It would not matter where the cartoon were t=
o be set, LA or Park Forest... having African-Americans depicted in such =
a manner is racist. Such thefts did not occur in Park Forest and I resen=
t the implication that they did. Not all humor is based on deprication =
of certain groups. By the way, if anyone in Park Forest hunts, other tha=
n for meteorites, it would have to be outside the Village. No, I really =
don't care to engage in a continuing conversation on this subject nor to =
give it more attention that it is due. Janet Muchnik"

Hello again Janet and list,

"It would not matter where the cartoon were to be set, LA or Park Forest.=
. having African-Americans depicted in such a manner is racist."

If you would do me the justice of not referencing to images not on the co=
mic this would be easier, please look at the comic again, there are no pl=
ural African-Americans. AND it also has a Caucasian person holding the g=
un. So in my opinion, if a person wanted to get analytical the Caucasian=
 is the person doing the more wrong, and in Kansas he is breaking three l=
aws in his auction while the other person is breaking only one law...I do=
 not know your state or city laws so it might be different there. It eas=
ier to scream racism and African-American, but perhaps you would get more=
 support by declaring me a human hater in general.

If a person sees racist in the comic then perhaps he or she should look i=
nward. An example of what I mean here is that statistics prove that most=
 people who cheap on their spouses, believe their spouse is cheating. Pe=
rsonally, I think the person picking the hunters pocket could be from a n=
umber of places, such as Jamaica, Mali or Kenya. Race was never discusse=
d during the drafting of the comic and only one eyed critics like yoursel=
f have added notations to race...not counting my replies to these e-mails=
 of course.

"Not all humor is based on deprication (sic) of certain groups." =20

If you mean the deprivation of certain groups, I would completely agree, =
and if you read the reference I sent you, on the philosophy of comics, it=
 would agree with you also. I might note that most philosophers think th=
at comics by nature, is a degrading art form. Either of the subjects sho=
wn or the author of the comic. Basically, in a comic you are making fun =
of yourself or something. Early philosophers thought comics only made fu=
n of the author. If this subject interest you further, I can look up ref=
erence relating to this...it is likely the most debated subject historica=
lly in the philosophy of comics. That of who is being degrading, the sub=
ject, the artist or the viewer. =20

"By the way, if anyone in Park Forest hunts, other than for meteorites, i=
t would have to be outside the Village."

Note to Meteorite Central list: No hunting meteorites inside the Village=
  =20

We will not ask what people might be hunting for inside the Village.

"No, I really don't care to engage in a continuing conversation on this s=
ubject nor to give it more attention that it is due."

Fair enough, I have offered you a free forum, which is MUCH more then I n=
eed to do. Unless you have some new thoughts to this I will consider thi=
s manner closed.

So with that I will end with the following, in your last e-mail to me you=
r wrote:

"The people who collected meteorites were able to sell them to dealers, i=
f they so desired, or to a consortium of museums."

Perhaps you might explain to us why Farmer had to give back a good share =
of a meteorite, he paid $1000's for, for free in other to avoid a lawsui=
t. In case this slips your memory, here is the quote your gave to the ne=
wspaper.

"I've got a contract with them for the other one, and I would imagine thi=
s one will just go into the same contract," she said. "It's a much smalle=
r piece, but it's a very dramatic piece because half is white and half is=
 black." =20

Mark Bostick

------=_NextPart_001_0059_01C415AA.DE9D9770

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV> <DIV><FONT fa=
ce=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">Janet's complete response:&nbsp; "It wou=
ld not matter where the cartoon were to be set, LA or Park Forest... havi=
ng African-Americans depicted in such a manner is racist. &nbsp;Such thef=
ts did not occur in Park Forest and I resent the implication that they di=
d. &nbsp;Not all humor is based on &nbsp;deprication of certain groups. &=
nbsp;By the way, if anyone in Park Forest hunts, other than for meteorite=
s, it would have to be outside the Village. &nbsp;No, I really don't care=
 to engage in a continuing conversation on this subject nor to give it mo=
re attention that it is due. &nbsp;Janet Muchnik"</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT=
 face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D=
Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">H=
ello again Janet and list,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial,=
 Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-s=
erif">"It would not matter where the cartoon were to be set, LA or Park F=
orest... having African-Americans depicted in such a manner is racist."</=
FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</=
DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">If you would do me the=
 justice of not referencing to&nbsp;images not on the comic this would be=
 easier, please look at the comic again,&nbsp;there are no plural African=
-Americans.&nbsp; AND it also has a Caucasian person holding the gun.&nbs=
p; So in my opinion, if a person wanted to get analytical the Caucasian i=
s the person doing the more wrong, and in Kansas he is breaking three law=
s in his auction while the other person is breaking only one law...I do n=
ot know&nbsp;your state or city laws so it might be different there.&nbsp=
; It easier to scream racism and African-American, but perhaps you would =
get more support by declaring me a human hater in general.</FONT></DIV> <=
DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FO=
NT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">If a person sees racist in the comi=
c then perhaps he or she should look inward.&nbsp; An example of what I m=
ean here is that statistics prove that most people&nbsp;who cheap on thei=
r spouses, believe their spouse is cheating.&nbsp; Personally, I think th=
e person picking the hunters pocket could be from a number of places, suc=
h as Jamaica, Mali or Kenya.&nbsp; Race was never discussed during the dr=
afting of the comic and only one eyed critics like yourself have added no=
tations to race...not counting my replies to these e-mails of course.</FO=
NT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DI=
V> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">"Not all humor is based =
on &nbsp;deprication (sic) of certain groups." </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT f=
ace=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"=
Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">If you mean the deprivation of certain groups,=
 I would completely agree, and if you read the reference I sent you, on&n=
bsp;the philosophy of comics, it&nbsp;would agree with you also.&nbsp; I =
might note that most philosophers think&nbsp;that comics by nature, is&nb=
sp;a degrading art form.&nbsp; Either of the subjects shown or the author=
 of the comic.&nbsp; Basically, in a comic you are making fun of yourself=
 or something.&nbsp; Early philosophers thought comics only made fun of t=
he author.&nbsp; If this subject interest you further, I can look up refe=
rence relating to this...it is likely the most debated subject historical=
ly in the philosophy of comics.&nbsp; That of who is being degrading, the=
 subject, the artist or the viewer.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D=
"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva=
, Arial, Sans-serif">"By the way, if anyone in Park Forest hunts, other t=
han for meteorites, it would have to be outside the Village."</FONT></DIV=
> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>=
<FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">Note to Meteorite Central list:&=
nbsp; No hunting meteorites inside the Village.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV>=
<FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT f=
ace=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">We will not ask what people might be hu=
nting for inside the Village.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Ari=
al, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, San=
s-serif">"No, I really don't care to engage in a continuing conversation =
on this subject nor to give it more attention that it is due."</FONT></DI=
V> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV=
><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">Fair enough, I have offered you=
 a free forum, which is MUCH more then I need to do.&nbsp; Unless you hav=
e some new thoughts to this I will consider this manner closed.</FONT></D=
IV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DI=
V><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">So with that I will end with t=
he following, in your last e-mail to me your wrote:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FO=
NT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=
=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">"The people who collected meteorites were =
able to sell them to dealers, if they so desired, or to a consortium of m=
useums."</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FON=
T>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">Perhaps you =
might explain to us&nbsp;why Farmer had to give back&nbsp;a good share of=
 a &nbsp;meteorite, he paid $1000's for, for free in other to avoid a law=
suit.&nbsp; In case this slips your memory, here is the quote your gave t=
o the newspaper.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-seri=
f"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">"I'v=
e got a contract with them for the other one, and I would imagine this on=
e will just go into the same contract," she said. "It's a much smaller pi=
ece, but it's a very dramatic piece because half is white and half is bla=
ck." </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"></FONT>&=
nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D"Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">Mark Bostick</F=