[meteorite-list] 'Rites & Wrong Cartoon

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:56 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0055_01C4159B.9663E5E0

Park Forest comic (copy protection removed)

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/comic5.html

Re: I have rarely seen such an openly racist piece of work as the cartoo=
n entitled 'Rites & Wrongs. I have lived in Park Forest since 1971 and =
have always felt safe in the community. It is one of the few communities=
 in the Chicagoland region that is racially integrated and has been since=
 the 1950s. It has one of the lowest crime rates in the 5-county region.=
  I do not know where you got your information. The people who collected=
 meteorites were able to sell them to dealers, if they so desired, or to =
a consortium of museums. No one was held up or robbed as they gathered t=
hem or sold them. It is such a shame that you would choose to promulgate=
 such an inaccurate image of the community. =20

Janet Muchnik
Village Manager

Thanks for your comments Janet,

Since I have made reference to the Meteorite Central Mailing list I am fo=
rwarding a copy of this to them as well.

It is a comic and it is satire comic and it should be taken as such. If =
satire humor brings undue stress to you or someone you know, I would not =
watch Mad television or Saturday Night Live, you might have a heart attac=
k. As far as it being racist I do not see that unless you consider Park =
Forest or Chicago itself a race....and even then you would be stretching =
things. =20

I have posted my thoughts of the comic on the meteorite central mailing l=
ist and you can read about it in the archives the list has here, I will h=
owever make a couple notes and if you have any questions or comments feel=
 free to e-mail me again. In fact, if you can continue a conversation in=
 a respectable manner, then I have no problem with doing something like a=
dding a comment from you to the comic page. =20

Meteorite Central Archives, look around the current date, and it should n=
ot be hard to find my postings. =20

http://www.meteoritecentral.com/archives.shtml

I will note that seems clear that the page was referred to you by a Bill =
Kieskowski, who's e-mails to me have been nothing but secondary e-motions=
  I am not his councilor and this is not a group session, plus I am not =
sure how things work around Chicago, but I do not think you will find suc=
h actions productive anywhere. It surely has not convinced me to take it=
 down or the like and if anything, I might make a postcard now and send i=
t out for free to everyone in the meteorite community or whoever else wou=
ld like one. =20

Personally if I had a problem with something, I would not continue to spo=
tlight it.

Please read the following:

Laughter: An Essay on the Meaning of Comic by Henri Bergson. Henri Bergs=
on was well known for his work in the philosophy of humor. I read his wo=
rk in college, but you can view it here for free.

http://www.authorama.com/laughter-4.html

The following is from Bergson classic work, which is a not copyrighted. =
His work is accepted one must say by the United States Government who has=
 published and promoted the work for several years now. =20

"Bergson notes that a person robbing another has been a common theme thro=
ughout the history of comic drawling. Here is what he says, on this subje=
ct, "Who are the actors in these scenes? With whom has the wit to deal? F=
irst of all, with his interlocutors themselves, when his witticism is a d=
irect retort to one of them. Often with an absent person whom he supposes=
 to have spoken and to whom he is replying. Still oftener, with the whole=
 world,--in the ordinary meaning of the term,--which he takes to task, tw=
isting a current idea into a paradox, or making use of a hackneyed phrase=
, or parodying some quotation or proverb. If we compare these scenes in m=
iniature with one another, we find they are almost always variations of a=
 comic theme with which we are well acquainted, that of the "robber robbe=
d." You take up a metaphor, phrase, an argument, and turn it against the =
man who is, or might be, its author, so that he is made to say what he di=
d not mean to say and lets himself be caught, to some extent, in the toil=
s of language. But the theme of the "robber robbed" is not the only possi=
ble one. We have gone over many varieties of the comic, and there is not =
one of them that is incapable of being volatilized into a witticism."

What Berger is trying to say here and in the paragraphs before it, is tha=
t by nature, the witticism in the being robbed scene in a comic is someth=
ing we can all relate to and that while it can be turned against the writ=
er, that it is not a direct attack on a person or group, but more a refle=
ction of part of our society. Berger ends with saying it is "witticism", =
in others words, it is humor.

If you would like I can give you references to many other writers of the =
philosophic nature of comics. All seem to agree with 90% of the same thi=
ng.

Almost every dealer reported seeing gang activity in the region, and that=
 Chicago as a metropolitan as has always been known to have gang activity=
  Many movies and songs have been made about this since the 1950's. Eve=
n the recently popular "Chicago" musical, had them wearing gangster hats =
on the movie bills and carried much of the image in the film. In other w=
ords, it is my opinion, that if the Chicago-area would like people to cha=
nge their thoughts on it, then the first step would be to stop marketing =
such.

Gang activity is everywhere in the United States and even outside of Wich=
ita, Kansas...where I live. I do not think anyone, in the meteorite comm=
unity thinks Park Forest is a terrible place to live. Everyone I know en=
joyed there hunts there and although, urban meteorite hunting did present=
 some new challenges, I think most would do it again.

I would also like you to note the name of the comic, 'Rites & Wrongs. By=
 nature it is not a politically correct comic and the name I think reflec=
ts that and the readership it is aimed at understands this I believe, in =
fact, if any person on the Meteorite Central Mailing list, the only place=
 I have sent this comic, did not understand this was a comic and thinks t=
hat this is an accurate "image" of life in Park Forest, feel free to e-ma=
il both me and Janet and say such. Janet, you yourself looked at and lab=
eled it a "cartoon" in your e-mail to me. =20

If we can not laugh at the world, we are doomed to cry with it.

As I have been kind to answer you e-mail, perhaps you can answer me, If t=
he meteorite fell in Los Angeles would you fell any different about the c=
omic?

Mark Bostick
Creator and Owner of 'Rites & Wrongs

------=_NextPart_001_0055_01C4159B.9663E5E0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Park Forest co=
mic (copy protection removed)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"htt=
p://www.meteoritearticles.com/comic5.html">http://www.meteoritearticles.c=
om/comic5.html</A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Re:&nbs=
p; I have rarely seen such an openly racist piece of work as the cartoon =
entitled 'Rites &amp; Wrongs. &nbsp; I have lived in Park Forest since 19=
71 and have always felt safe in the community. &nbsp;It is one of the few=
 communities in the Chicagoland region that is racially integrated and ha=
s been since the 1950s. &nbsp;It has one of the lowest crime rates in the=
 5-county region. &nbsp;I do not know where you got your information. &nb=
sp;The people who collected meteorites were able to sell them to dealers,=
 if they so desired, or to a consortium of museums. &nbsp;No one was held=
 up or robbed as they gathered them or sold them. &nbsp;It is such a sham=
e that you would choose to promulgate such an inaccurate image of the com=
munity. &nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><BR>Janet Muchnik<BR>Village Manager</DIV> <DIV=
>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Thanks for your co=
mments Janet,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Since I have made reference to=
 the Meteorite Central Mailing list I am forwarding a copy of this to the=
m as well.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It is a comic and it is satire co=
mic and it should be taken as such.&nbsp; If satire humor brings undue st=
ress to you or someone you know, I would not watch Mad television or Satu=
rday Night Live, you might have a heart attack.&nbsp; As far as it being =
racist I do not see that unless you consider Park Forest or Chicago itsel=
f a race....and even then you would be stretching things.&nbsp;&nbsp; </D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I have posted my thoughts of the comic on the =
meteorite central mailing list and you can read about it in the archives =
the list has here, I will however make a couple notes and if you have any=
 questions or comments feel free to e-mail me again.&nbsp; In fact, if yo=
u can continue a conversation in a respectable manner, then I have no pro=
blem with doing something like adding a comment from you to the comic pag=
e.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Meteorite Central Archives, l=
ook around the current date, and it should not be hard to find my posting=
s.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritecen=
tral.com/archives.shtml">http://www.meteoritecentral.com/archives.shtml</=
A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I will note that seems =
clear that the page was referred to you by a Bill Kieskowski, who's e-mai=
ls to me have been nothing but secondary e-motions.&nbsp; I am not his co=
uncilor and this is not a group session, plus I am not sure how things wo=
rk around Chicago, but I do not think you will find such actions producti=
ve anywhere.&nbsp; It surely has not convinced me to take it down or the =
like and if anything, I might make a postcard now and send it out for fre=
e to everyone in the meteorite community or whoever else would like one.&=
nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Personally if I had a problem with so=
mething, I would not continue to spotlight it.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <D=
IV>Please read the following:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Laughter: An E=
ssay on the Meaning of Comic by Henri Bergson.&nbsp; Henri Bergson was we=
ll known for his work in the philosophy of humor.&nbsp; I read his work i=
n college, but you can view it here for free.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DI=
V><U><FONT color=3D#800080><A href=3D"http://www.authorama.com/laughter-4=
html">http://www.authorama.com/laughter-4.html</A></FONT></U><A href=3D"=
http://www.gutenberg.net/browse/BIBREC/BR4352.HTM"></A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;=
</DIV> <DIV>The following is from Bergson classic work, which is a&nbsp;n=
ot copyrighted.&nbsp; His work is accepted one must say by the United Sta=
tes Government who has&nbsp;published and promoted the work for several y=
ears now.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"Bergson notes that a perso=
[...]
le of being volatilized into a witticism."</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>W=
hat Berger is trying to say here and in the paragraphs before it, is that=
 by nature, the witticism in the being robbed scene in a comic is somethi=
ng we can all relate to and that while it can be turned against the write=
r, that it is not a direct attack on a person or group, but more a reflec=
tion of part of our society. Berger ends with saying it is "witticism", i=
n others words, it is humor.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV> <DIV>If you wo=
uld like I can give you references to many other writers of the philosoph=
ic nature of comics.&nbsp; All seem to agree with 90% of the same thing.<=
/DIV></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Almost every dealer reported seeing ga=
ng activity in the region, and that Chicago as a metropolitan as has alwa=
ys been known to have gang activity.&nbsp; Many movies and songs have bee=
n made about this since the 1950's.&nbsp; Even the recently popular "Chic=
ago" musical, had them wearing gangster hats on the movie bills and carri=
ed much of the image in the film.&nbsp; In other words, it is my opinion,=
 that if the Chicago-area would like people to change their thoughts on i=
t, then the first step would be to stop marketing such.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;=
</DIV> <DIV>Gang activity is everywhere in the United States and even out=
side of Wichita, Kansas...where I live.&nbsp; I do not think anyone, in t=
he meteorite community thinks Park Forest is a terrible place to live.&nb=
sp; Everyone I know enjoyed there hunts there and although, urban meteori=
te hunting did present some new challenges, I think most would do it agai=
n.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I would also like you to note the name of=
 the comic, 'Rites &amp; Wrongs.&nbsp; By nature it is not a politically =
correct comic and the name I think reflects that and the readership it is=
 aimed at understands this I believe, in fact, if any person on the Meteo=
rite Central Mailing list, the only place I have sent this comic, did not=
 understand this was a comic and thinks that this is an accurate "image" =
of life in Park Forest, feel free to e-mail both me and Janet and say suc=
h.&nbsp; Janet, you yourself looked at and labeled it a "cartoon" in your=
 e-mail to me.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>If we can not laugh at=
 the world, we are doomed to cry with it.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>As=
 I have been kind to answer you e-mail, perhaps you can answer me, If the=
 meteorite fell in Los Angeles would you fell any different about the com=
ic?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Mark Bostick</DIV> <DIV>Creator&nbsp;and=
 Owner of 'Rites &amp; Wrongs</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></=
BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0055_01C4159B.9663E5E0--