[meteorite-list] Mystery Achondrite Found in Amgala Batch

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:53 2004

Dear List,

After going through our last batch of completely crusted Amgala chondrite
specimens we came across this achondrite. I guess it pays to use a magnet
and a microscope to look at each and every specimen. After a magnet was not
the least bit attracted to this stone we examined it under a microscope and
saw a thin translucent caramel colored crust with contraction cracks. We
ground a small edge and were shocked by what we saw next. It looks almost
like NWA 482 but brighter with what appears to be a pure white anorthosite
matrix. This possible lunar is absolutely gorgeous and fresh! Now we know
what Robert Haag must of felt like when he ground a corner off of Calcalong
Creek. It will now be a game of hurry up and wait for lab results.

To see what we are so excited about, check out the links below:

http://www.lunarrock.com/MysteryStone/mystery1.jpg

http://www.lunarrock.com/MysteryStone/mystery2.jpg

Do not forget we still have a few slices of the Amgala chondrite running on
ebay as over half have been sold with buy-it-now.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock