[meteorite-list] Why not oil /diamond blades for cutting meteorites?

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:52 2004

--part1_8d.6569d89.2d8ea375_boundary

"a water based additive for fluids that permit cooling,
lubrication and prevents corrosion of ferrous metals"

Just a clarification I'd like to know, does the "for fluids" mean any fluid,
like hexane, just polar solvents like water and alcohols, does it contain a
surfactant that makes it miscible and otherwise effective both ways?

Personally I's like to know if anyone has had a set up able to cut with
Freon-11, or perhaps 113 (with a permit in some countries and mask, I believe it
has few side effects although one for men to keep in mind might be that it
shrinks (edited comment ... ask in private if you need to know). They have quite
high heat capacities and might create your own personal sized ozone hole,
though are still widely used throughout the world and I support their use with a
solvent recycling-recovery system. I would think they would be fairly stable
for short uses (i.e. covalent Cl), and heat them and presto solvent disappears,
as if it was never there. If their boiling points are too low, another
heavier CFC ... or Brominated one which I think have even higher heat capacities.

Adam sounds like he is from Missouri (for very good reason), and it is good
to hear he doesn't close his mind to advancing science...it would be quite
foolish I think with thousands of liquids known that "alcohol" and "oil" and water
are the only ones that work. Bill, the fume hoods at Menlo Park are waiting
for you.

I would just venture to say, DON'T CUT FRESH CARBONACEOUS METEORITES with any
of these polar solvents and surfactants. Like, if I were to have amino acids
in my meteorite, would I really want to extract them? I would never do that,
and I've only cut one tiny window in a meteorite on a cheap tile saw and even
I know that.

But better the experts comment on that...
Saludos
Doug DawnMexico

En un mensaje con fecha 03/21/2004 12:22:49 AM Mexico Standard Time,
adamhupe_at_comcast.net escribe:

> Dear Adam,
> Seems that new technology for grinding and cutting fluids is being
> ignored. I have a water based additive for fluids that permit cooling,
> lubrication and prevents corrosion of ferrous metals. VpCI-435. Have been
> working on H-5 slices in our laboratory. Results soon to be published.
> There are opportunities to save our collections through new
> technology if we open our minds to 2000 state of the art chemistry.
>
> Bill Mason "Rusty"

--part1_8d.6569d89.2d8ea375_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">"a water based additive for fluids=20=
that permit cooling,<BR>
lubrication and prevents corrosion of ferrous metals"<BR>
<BR>
Just a clarification I'd like to know, does the "for fluids" mean any fluid,=
 like hexane, just polar solvents like water and alcohols, does it contain a=
 surfactant that makes it miscible and otherwise effective both ways?<BR>
<BR>
Personally I's like to know if anyone has had a set up able to cut with Freo=
n-11, or perhaps 113 (with a permit in some countries and mask, I believe it=
 has few side effects although one for men to keep in mind might be that it=20=
shrinks (edited comment ... ask in private if you need to know).&nbsp; They=20=
have quite high heat capacities and might create your own personal sized ozo=
ne hole, though are still widely used throughout the world and I support the=
ir use with a solvent recycling-recovery system.&nbsp; I would think they wo=
uld be fairly stable for short uses (i.e. covalent Cl), and heat them and pr=
esto solvent disappears, as if it was never there.&nbsp; If their boiling po=
ints are too low, another heavier CFC ... or Brominated one which I think ha=
ve even higher heat capacities.<BR>
<BR>
Adam sounds like he is from Missouri (for very good reason), and it is good=20=
to hear he doesn't close his mind to advancing science...it would be quite f=
oolish I think with thousands of liquids known that "alcohol" and "oil" and=20=
water are the only ones that work.&nbsp; Bill, the fume hoods at Menlo Park=20=
are waiting for you.<BR>
<BR>
I would just venture to say, DON'T CUT FRESH CARBONACEOUS METEORITES with an=
y of these polar solvents and surfactants.&nbsp; Like, if I were to have ami=
no acids in my meteorite, would I really want to extract them?&nbsp; I would=
 never do that, and I've only cut one tiny window in a meteorite on a cheap=20=
tile saw and even I know that.<BR>
<BR>
But better the experts comment on that...<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug DawnMexico<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 03/21/2004 12:22:49 AM Mexico Standard Time, adamhup=
e_at_comcast.net escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Dear Adam,<BR>
Seems that new technology for grinding and cutting fluids is being<BR>
ignored. I have a water based additive for fluids that permit cooling,<BR>
lubrication and prevents corrosion of ferrous metals. VpCI-435. Have been<BR=

working on H-5 slices in our laboratory. Results soon to be published.<BR>
There are opportunities to save our collections through new<BR>
technology if we open our minds to 2000 state of the art chemistry.<BR>
<BR>
Bill Mason&nbsp; "Rusty"<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>