AW: AW: [meteorite-list] Amgala, Tsarev and Zag

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:51 2004

Dear John,

I think, for chondrites, regolith breccias (monomict or genomict) are =
quite more abundant than polymict breccias. The opposite is true for =
achondrites. Polymict breccias, especially eucrites (howardites are =
polymict by definition!) are quite often polymict (there is an unusual =
high fraction of polymict eucrites from Antarctica), whereas regolith =
breccias are rather common only for lunaites (e.g. anorthositic highland =
breccias), which are - by definition - achondrites. A nice example for =
another regolithic achondrite is the howardite Kapoeta (higly =
solar-gas-rich material).

Regarding the H/Ls (Bremervoerde, NWA 1955, Tieschitz...): these aren't =
polymict breccias containing H and L lithologies, but members of a group =
intermediate between H and L chondrite in terms of composition and =
isotopic signatures. They likely come from a parent body (PB) distinct =
from the PBs of both, the L and H chondrites. Though they are breccias, =
they are not mixing products of L and H material.

Best wishes,
Joern

______
Joern Koblitz
MetBase Editor
The MetBase Library of Meteoritics and Planetary Sciences
Benquestrasse 27
D-28209 Bremen, Germany
phone: +49 421 24 100 24
fax: +49 421 24 100 99