[meteorite-list] Mesosiderite types

From: Devin Schrader <makinsomenoise_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:50 2004

Rob,

A full description is in:
Reviews in Mineralogy Volume 36
Planetary Materials, J.J. Papike, editor
Publisher: Mineralogical Society of America, 1998

"The mesosiderites are divided into three petrologic groups based on the
orthopyroxene content (Hewins 1984, 1988: see Fig. 53). Compositional class
A mesosiderite silicates are relatively basaltic in composition, containing
more plagioclase and clinopyroxene. The compositional class B mesosiderite
silicates contain a greater proportion of orthopyroxene, and are therefore
more ultramafic. A unique mesosiderite from Antarctica, RKPA79015, contains
almost exclusively orthopyroxene as its silicate phase (Prinz et al. 1982a),
and is the sole member of compositional class C (Hewins

This is from 1998, and at least one more C type has come out of Morocco so
the definition of class C might be better refined, ect.

Devin Schrader