[meteorite-list] NPA 07-1925 Early Nininger paper, Kansas Meteorites

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:49 2004

------=_NextPart_001_002E_01C40820.8C4F7610

Paper: Appleton Post Crescent
City: Appleton, Wisconsin
Date: Monday Evening, July 20, 1925
Page: 5

KANSAS KNOWN AS LANDING STATION FOR METOERITES
Scientist Asserts Middle State Has No Undue Attraction for Stars
By Assiciated Press

McPherson, Kan. - Kansas has attained a reputation beyond this planet as =
a landing field for stray meteorites, but that reputation would not stand=
 the test of science, declared Prof. H. H. Nininger of McPherson college,=
 past president of the Lansas Academy of Science, in an address on the su=
bject of meteorites.
The belief that Kansas, center of the United States, exerts some unexplai=
ned influence on the heavenly wanderes, is without foundation in fact, th=
e professor asserted. A chart of recorded meteoritic falls disclosed that=
 one-fifth of the significant finds in the world have been in Kansas and =
this has led, according to Professor Nininger, to the popular and failaci=
ous impression that this state is peculiarly attractive to meteorites.
Two explanations he offered for the apparent monopoly Kansas has maintain=
ed: the character fo the soil and the interest aroused in the science.
"The finding of stony meteorites." Professor Nininger pointed out, "which=
 have not been seen to fall, may be considered among the rarest events in=
 the annals of meteorites. In only two localities on this continent have =
such finds occurred in numberd - western Kansas and the coastal plains of=
 Texas. In both of these regions the soil is comparatively free from terr=
estrial rocks." This, he said, facilititates distinguishing meteoric ston=
es from the earth.
A series of witnessed falls of now famous iron and stone meteorites also =
had kept scientific circles, the public and the press interested in Kansa=
s for long periods, he said, with the result that farmers began to believ=
e that the heavy stones with which they were weighing down fences and roo=
fs were in fact meteorites. Thus were the discoveries multiplied.
Scientists have never satifactority acconted for the concentration of iro=
n meteorites in large showers. Professor Niniger told his audience. One t=
heory is that such showers are remnants of dinintegrating comets which ha=
ve "side-swiped" the earth. This, he said, may explain the huge crater in=
 northest Arizona, devoid of volcanic rock and surrounded by traces of ir=
on meteoritic fals, which geologists believe marks the entrance into the =
earth of a monster meteorite.

Hello list,
PDF file is available for this and about 1/4 of the newspapers currently =
archived on my website, www.meteoritearticles.com. Finding, transcrbing, =
getting PDF copies and archiving on my website, besides (sometimes) posti=
ng them to the list, takes quite a bit of time so my personal archives wi=
ll always be a lot larger then what is on the website. I have also avoide=
d archiving a lot of the recent newspaper articles on my site to concentr=
ate on the older ones. I do my best to provide a (free) research service =
in this department and will start making attempts to be able ot share PDF=
 copies from now on. Requests may take a couple days and to be honest it =
will be a few years before I see myself being of any great service. =20
Mark Bostick

------=_NextPart_001_002E_01C40820.8C4F7610

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Paper: Appleton Post Crescent</P> <P>City: Appleton, Wisconsin</P> <=
P>Date: Monday Evening, July 20, 1925</P> <P>Page: 5</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P=
>KANSAS KNOWN AS LANDING STATION FOR METOERITES</P> <P>Scientist Asserts =
Middle State Has No Undue Attraction for Stars</P> <P>By Assiciated Press=
</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>McPherson, Kan. - Kansas has attained a reputation =
beyond this planet as a landing field for stray meteorites, but that repu=
tation would not stand the test of science, declared Prof. H. H. Nininger=
 of McPherson college, past president of the Lansas Academy of Science, i=
n an address on the subject of meteorites.</P> <P>The belief that Kansas,=
 center of the United States, exerts some unexplained influence on the he=
avenly wanderes, is without foundation in fact, the professor asserted. A=
 chart of recorded meteoritic falls disclosed that one-fifth of the signi=
ficant finds in the world have been in Kansas and this has led, according=
 to Professor Nininger, to the popular and failacious impression that thi=
s state is peculiarly attractive to meteorites.</P> <P>Two explanations h=
e offered for the apparent monopoly Kansas has maintained: the character =
fo the soil and the interest aroused in the science.</P> <P>"The finding =
of stony meteorites." Professor Nininger pointed out, "which have not bee=
n seen to fall, may be considered among the rarest events in the annals o=
f meteorites. In only two localities on this continent have such finds oc=
curred in numberd - western Kansas and the coastal plains of Texas. In bo=
th of these regions the soil is comparatively free from terrestrial rocks=
" This, he said, facilititates distinguishing meteoric stones from the e=
arth.</P> <P>A series of witnessed falls of now famous iron and stone met=
eorites also had kept scientific circles, the public and the press intere=
sted in Kansas for long periods, he said, with the result that farmers be=
gan to believe that the heavy stones with which they were weighing down f=
ences and roofs were in fact meteorites. Thus were the discoveries multip=
lied.</P> <P>Scientists have never satifactority acconted for the concent=
ration of iron meteorites in large showers. Professor Niniger told his au=
dience. One theory is that such showers are remnants of dinintegrating co=
mets which have "side-swiped" the earth. This, he said, may explain the h=
uge crater in northest Arizona, devoid of volcanic rock and surrounded by=
 traces of iron meteoritic fals, which geologists believe marks the entra=
nce into the earth of a monster meteorite.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Hello lis=
t,</P> <P>PDF file is available for this and about 1/4 of the newspapers =
currently archived on my website, www.meteoritearticles.com. Finding, tra=
nscrbing, getting PDF copies and archiving on my website, besides (someti=
mes) posting them to the list, takes quite a bit of time so my personal a=
rchives will always be a lot larger then what is on the website. I have a=
lso avoided archiving a lot of the recent newspaper articles on my site t=
o concentrate on the older ones. I do my best to provide a (free) researc=
h service in this department and will start making attempts to be able ot=
 share PDF copies from now on. Requests may take a couple days and to be =
honest it will be a few years before I see myself being of any great serv=
ice.&nbsp; </P> <P>Mark Bostick</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_002E_01C40820.8C4F7610--