[meteorite-list] AD:Not a happy 'Campo'

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:48 2004

Bob,

The biggest one I have applied this treatment to, was a ~1kg campo that
belongs to Dave Harris, as far as I know it is still stable (Dave?),
though with that one I also coated the exterior with a protective
coating I did a Nantan for him in the same way, that was really sick.

I have also done it with a 250g Toluca, and a 200g Baby Campo I have,
all are very stable now.

I think the trick seems to be to get rid of any moisture first, dry the
Iron out and make sure you remove every trace of loose rust. Then the
solution will be better 'absorbed'. The thing to remember is that if the
moisture can be absorbed so can the Sodium Hydroxide solution!, given
enough time I think it will treat pretty well any size of Iron.

One note of caution though don't use a 'brass wire' brush to brush off
the rust, I did this and ended up with a Copper/Brass coating on the
meteorite!!=20

There was some sort of electrolytic reaction with the copper in the
brass, the Iron looked like it was made of gold! It brushed off ok
though when I used a steel brush - phew!.

Mark