[meteorite-list] OT- Our position regarding the IMCA

From: Ron DiIulio <starman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:48 2004

--=_FADBF8A2.2243EA3A

Hi Adam (and the rest of the list).
As one who was recently 'scammed' by a fraudulent dealer through ebay, I =
can only laud the efforts of the IMCA to notify its members of possible =
frauds. Although my ebay "win" was quite small, I discovered---much to my =
disappointment---that ebay is quite reluctant to get involved in any form =
of dispute. So...as has been said..."buyer beware".=20
=20
If I had read some of this group's, and IMCA's threads, prior to my sale I =
would have seen all the warning flags and removed myself from the auction. =
Unfortunately, I was traveling and missed the threads. However, because of =
many emails from this list and IMCA members I chose to pay the fraudulent =
seller via an escrow service so I could have you guys examine the =
specimen. He never responded to any of my emails, nor to the escrow =
service. Consequently, I never sent any payment.
As a result I have my first negative response which ebay will not consider =
removing!=20
=20
It's interesting to note, however, that the seller (glassface1) has a 100% =
negative rating already, but ebay wouldn't respond to my call to take a =
closer look at him.
=20
Oh well...it was an inexpensive learning experience--it only cost me my =
first negative feedback!
=20
Regards,
Ron DiIulio
Planetarium and Astronomy Lab Director
Physics Department
University of North Texas

>>> "Adam Hupe" <adamhupe_at_comcast.net> 03/08/04 04:53PM >>>
Dear List members,

We recognize that the List and IMCA are two different entities. Since =
they
cross over sometimes we thought we would state our position regarding the
IMCA. If you are not interested please just delete this message and no =
harm
will have been done.

It was mentioned that my brother, Greg and I do not belong to the IMCA. =
We
have been members since its inception and fully endorse the efforts of =
this
group. We do not post often because the group is managing itself pretty
well. In our opinion, the IMCA is evolving into a highly respected entity
by going to non-profit corporation status. It seems like the natural =
thing
to do since the IMCA is more and more becoming a recognized authority on
such important subjects such as authenticity.

Although the group has limitations regarding ebay issues, Ken is doing a
professional job contacting sellers who are marketing questionable items. =
am sure this has reduced the number of frauds being committed by accident =
or
otherwise and for this we should all be thankful. It takes a lot of =
effort
to contact these vendors and for this the IMCA should be applauded. =
Almost
everybody including ourselves has been scammed at one time or another and =
it
leaves a bad taste that lasts a long time. If some buyers can be spared
this I do not see a problem in trying to prevent it.

As far as law suites go, we would be willing to pay for lab time and a
professional scientist's report on questionable material if legal action =
was
brought to bear against the IMCA. We hope to see IMCA become the =
benchmark
on authenticity that only a coherent group as a whole can produce. The =
IMCA
can only reach this goal as a collective group, more powerful than any
single individual.

We fully endorse the IMCA,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185

--=_FADBF8A2.2243EA3A

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi Adam (and the rest of the list).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As one who was recently 'scammed' by a fraudulent =
dealer=20
through ebay, I can only laud the efforts of the IMCA to notify its =
members of=20
possible frauds. Although my ebay "win" was quite small, I discovered---muc=
h to=20
my disappointment---that ebay is quite reluctant to get&nbsp;involved=20
in&nbsp;any form of dispute. So...as has been said..."buyer beware".=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If I had read some of this group's, and IMCA's =
threads, prior=20
to my sale I would have seen all the warning flags and removed myself from =
the=20
auction. </FONT><FONT size=3D2>Unfortunately, I was traveling and missed =
the=20
threads. However, because of many emails from this list and IMCA members I =
chose=20
to pay the fraudulent seller via an escrow service so I could have you =
guys=20
examine the specimen. He never responded to any of my emails, nor to the =
escrow=20
service. Consequently, I never sent any payment.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As a result I have my first negative response which =
ebay will=20
not consider removing! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It's interesting to note, however, that the seller=20
(glassface1) has a 100% negative rating already, but ebay wouldn't respond =
to my=20
call to take a closer look at him.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Oh well...it was an inexpensive learning experience--it=
 only=20
cost me my first negative feedback!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ron DiIulio</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Planetarium and Astronomy Lab Director</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Physics Department</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>University of North Texas</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Adam Hupe" &lt;adamhupe_at_comcast.net&gt; =
03/08/04=20
04:53PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>Dear List members,<BR><BR>We recognize that the =
List and=20
IMCA are two different entities.&nbsp; Since they<BR>cross over sometimes =
we=20
thought we would state our position regarding the<BR>IMCA.&nbsp; If you =
are not=20
interested please just delete this message and no harm<BR>will have =
been=20
done.<BR><BR>It was mentioned that my brother, Greg and I do not belong to =
the=20
IMCA.&nbsp; We<BR>have been members since its inception and fully endorse =
the=20
efforts of this<BR>group.&nbsp; We do not post often because the group =
is=20
managing itself pretty<BR>well.&nbsp; In our opinion, the IMCA is evolving =
into=20
a highly respected entity<BR>by going to non-profit corporation status.&nbs=
p; It=20
seems like the natural thing<BR>to do since the IMCA is more and more =
becoming a=20
recognized authority on<BR>such important subjects such as=20
authenticity.<BR><BR>Although the group has limitations regarding ebay =
issues,=20
Ken is doing a<BR>professional job contacting sellers who are marketing=20
questionable items.&nbsp; I<BR>am sure this has reduced the number of =
frauds=20
being committed by accident or<BR>otherwise and for this we should all =
be=20
thankful.&nbsp; It takes a lot of effort<BR>to contact these vendors and =
for=20
this the IMCA should be applauded.&nbsp; Almost<BR>everybody including =
ourselves=20
has been scammed at one time or another and it<BR>leaves a bad taste that =
lasts=20
a long time.&nbsp; If some buyers can be spared<BR>this I do not see a =
problem=20
in trying to prevent it.<BR><BR>As far as law suites go, we would be =
willing to=20
pay for lab time and a<BR>professional scientist's report on questionable=
=20
material if legal action was<BR>brought to bear against the IMCA.&nbsp; We =
hope=20
to see IMCA become the benchmark<BR>on authenticity that only a coherent =
group=20
as a whole can produce.&nbsp; The IMCA<BR>can only reach this goal as a=20
collective group, more powerful than any<BR>single individual.<BR><BR>We =
fully=20
endorse the IMCA,<BR><BR>Adam and Greg Hupe<BR>The Hupe Collection<BR>IMCA=
=20
-list=20
mailing list<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list">http://www=
..pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</A><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_FADBF8A2.2243EA3A--