[meteorite-list] Meteorites / Mining Claims

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:44 2004

--0-660040551-1078166769=:52780

Hi

Have a read of Norton's Rocks From Space (2nd Ed) p.251 on the Old Woman Meteorite.

I'm sure that you can hunt for meteorites but neither youself or the owner of the mining claim owns the meteorite. This is because meteorites are not a 'locatable mineral'. If the meteorite was found on public land the United States Government is the legal owner. If on private land I assume the land owner is the legal owner.

The Old Woman meteorite is now at the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) California Desert Information Center in Barstow. The finders recieved nothing.

I wonder if the same ruling would have been applied if Barringer had been successful in locating a large meteorite below Meteor Crater, Arizona. Maybe it's a size thing.....

Aubrey

WAHLPERRY_at_aol.com wrote:
 Hi List,

I would like to know if you are allowed to hunt for meteorites on mining claims. If one is

found, who owns the meteorite, The finder or the claim owner?

Thanks,.

Sonny

---------------------------------
--0-660040551-1078166769=:52780

<DIV>Hi</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Have a read of Norton's Rocks From Space (2nd Ed) p.251 on the Old Woman Meteorite.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm sure that you can hunt for meteorites but neither youself or the owner of the mining claim owns the meteorite.&nbsp; This is because meteorites are not a 'locatable mineral'.&nbsp; If the meteorite was found on public land the United States Government is the legal owner.&nbsp; If on private land I assume the land owner is the legal owner.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Old Woman meteorite is now at the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) California Desert Information Center in Barstow.&nbsp; The finders recieved nothing.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I wonder if the same ruling would have been applied if Barringer had been successful in locating a large meteorite below Meteor Crater, Arizona.&nbsp; Maybe it's a size thing.....</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Aubrey</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>WAHLPERRY_at_aol.com</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>&nbsp;Hi List,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I would like to know if you are allowed to hunt for meteorites on mining claims.&nbsp;If one is </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>found, who owns the meteorite, The finder or the claim owner? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sonny</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><p>
                <hr size=1><font face="Arial" size="2"> <a href="http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com"><b>
Yahoo! Messenger</b></a> - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends
--0-660040551-1078166769=:52780--