[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry Letter: Jan. 1, 1954 (Happy New Year, Bruno offer)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 27 17:49:27 2004

Hello list,
Filling in the gap from the last letter to now: Nininger and E. Henderson do all further correspondence on the possible new find Arispe. It seems to me they come to the conclusion that it is part of the Arispe find, just a nicer version of it. Nininger, decided, or tells Henderson he will just keep it for a display on the different weathering effects of meteorites. Henderson, by the way, is at this time an assistant curator of the meteorite for the Smithsonian. Fred Whipple, I think was the official head at this time, but it Henderson did all purchases, trades and the like.

Mark Bostick

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
DEVOTED TO RESEARCH AND POPULAR METEORITICS
(drawling of Sedona museum)
BOX 146, SEDONA, ARIZONA
H.H. Nininger, M.S., D.Sc. DIRECTOR
Addie D. Nininger SECRETARY - TREASURER
C.H. Brandmeyer SUPT. OF CONSTRUCTION AND DESIGN

New York, 1/1/54
A Happy New Year
to the Perry's!
I have just returned from Boston where the meteorite Symposium was a real success. We had a nice attendance of 60 to 80 people in every session.
Ed and I had quite a long talk while we were there one evening and I told him what I am now telling you namely that we have decided to part with a couple of our most prized meteorites in order to lighten the burden of our indebtedness. It will be like the amputation of a leg but after long and rather painful consideration we (wife & I) finally agreed that I should offer for sale the Horse Creek and Bruno. I know you have always wanted both of those for the U.S. Mus. And since various development have rendered it uncertain whether our museum can ever become a permanent institution beyond our life span - the U.S. Mus. is perhaps the safest place for such unique and valuable specimens.
Bruno, I regard as the finest meteorite in any museum as judged from all angles. Horse Creek I believe you agree presents perhaps the most intriguing crystalline structure of any iron. Yet I an not pricing these at figures commensurate with their comparative rarity and significance.
We ask 50 cents per gram for Bruno and 4.00 per gram for Horse Creek. Their weighs are 12,684 g. and 411.6 grams respectively. These prices are not subject to any reduction. They either sell at those prices or remain where they are.
I am not making any broadcast of the offer. We could not feel like letting them go to any purchases other than one where they will be properly appreciated and used to the greatest advantage of research. I did mention the matter to Dr. Fronded(?) as I told Ed I would; but he has just purchased a very expensive mineral collection in Europe and will have no money until after the mid-year unless the astronomy and nuclear physics than in geology.
We need at least half of this money between now and Mar. 1 and the remainder not later than June 1st.
Well, there you have the news - good or bad, depending on the point of view. If you are interested I might be able to run down to Tucson when I get back to Sedona and could bring the specimens for you to see if you cannot come up to the museum.
Many years ago you offered me $5000.00 for Bruno and which would be the equivalent of about 10,000 of the 1954 dollars.
We trust you & Mrs. Perry are finding the Arizona climate pleasant as usual.
With best Wishes, I remain
Sincerely,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger