[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry Letter, August 22, 1953 (Arispe)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 24 14:42:43 2004

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
AMERICAN METEORITE MUSUEM
OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66
POST OFFICE BOX 1171
WINSLOW ARIZONA

August 22, 1953
Mr. Stuart H. Perry,
Adrian, Michigan

Dear Mr. Perry:
We have another recovery from Sonora, Mexico, a beauty, weighing 141 lb. It is one I would love to keep for our own exhibit.
This meteorite was said to have been found 35 miles east from where the Arispe irons were found; but it certainly does not resemble those irons except in the fact that it is a very coarse octahedrite, its surface appears practically free from scale and at a dozen places shows excellent patches of fusion crust, gun-metal colored and unstained by rust.
Now the small fragment I have examined shows a definite alteration zone which I have never seen in Arispe nor have I ever seen the least remnant of fusion crust in any of the dozen Aripse masses I have examined.
The final naming of the this will have to await the cutting of a large section; but if the man's location is proven correct than it cannot well be called Aripse. The location give is about equally distant from Gampas and Moctezume but the structure is not right.
Looks like we may have a new iron. And in order to meet some construction bills I am offering this at the same price per pound as I did the Loreto iron but with the provision that we have a full-sized slice from near the middle returned to us for our collection, without charge. In other words, the price of this iron will be $987.00 plus a slice of the meteorite. I have not yet offered it to any one else but we need the money, and will appreciate hearing from you promptly.
The Harrison Brown book arrived in good condition. We had received Dr. Campbell Smith's copy. I am already finding ti a source of useful information.
Sincerely,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger
HHN: AN