[meteorite-list] Legality of Libyan Desert Glass Artifacts Discussion Continued

From: Nicholas Gessler <gessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 11 14:15:44 2004

Keith,

Don't be so quick to twist what I and others said to fill your needs.

It is also naive not to know the difference between "de facto" and "de jur."
That is all that most of the people posting were pointing out.
"De jur" does not necessarily guarantee the conservation of
anything. There are many cases I and others could site where culturally
important artifacts and scientifically important information have been
destroyed as a result of the adherence to the "letter of the law."
There is a higher standard than "de jur."

My observation was a simple fact and made from the perspective of having
been a practicing archaeologist, museum curator, and repatriator of many
significant artifacts over three decades. For a repatriation effort to be
credible, it must be focused on something culturally significant and the
repatriating country must show some credible interest in it and guarantee
both its safety and conservation. Yes, the study of LDG flakes and blades
might well be worthy of archeological investigation. If so, then start the
research project, let everyone know what theories you are investigating,
and you will probably get help from many people with pieces of LDG detritus
in their collections. I would guess that much more scientific and cultural
research has been undertaken on LDG outside of Libya and Egypt than LDG
remaining inside of Libya and Egypt. So correct me if I'm wrong. The
attempt to repatriate what is cultural detritus only detracts from the
serious conservation and research efforts of UNESCO, ICOM and the like...

Not all artifacts are of equal significance. If we accept as an artifact
"anything made or modified by man," trails, deserts and the current climate
can be considered as artifacts too... Charcoal from a fire pit? You only
need one piece to do a C14 date - usually the others are discarded. Iron
artifacts? Important in studying culture change in early contact sites. I
have it on authority that they have been thrown out as a fire hazard from
otherwise reputable archaeological institutions.

As for your argument, and your "condensation" of what I and others have
said, it is your logic that is bankrupt not their postings. Picking an LDG
flake up off the shifting sandy desert floor, where it might not otherwise
be seen again is not like stealing a stereo from a car. If you want to
make a valid analogy to finding an LDG flake in the desert, then it should
be "picking up a stereo from the side of a road where it had been
discarded." If you want to make a valid analogy to stealing a car stereo,
then it should be "stealing a piece of LDG from a museum or private showcase."

Enough false morality,
Nick