[meteorite-list] J.B. BIOT and L'Aigle strewn field

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 26 14:51:34 2004

> It's nearly impossible to find but it's one of the most important
> book about meteorites. It's the first to describe precisely what
> a strewnfield is and is a model of serious study of meteorite fall.

Bonjour Pierre, hello List,

Even though I cannot direct you to Biot's important contribution
to the world of meteorites, you might be interested in an "Invited
Review" in Meteoritics that shows both the map of the L'Aigle
area as drawn by "Citizen" Marais (p. 571) and the original map
by Jean-Baptiste Biot (p. 573):

U.B. Marvin (1996) Invited Review: E.F.F. Chladni (1756-1827) and the
origins of modern meteorite research (Meteoritics 31-5, 1996, 545-588).

Biot even included a scale, lacking in Marais' map. Biot's map also shows
the strewn field as a "real" closed ellipse, whereas Marais' strewn field outlines
look a bit "bulgy" , almost like a ballonn not fully "inflated".

Best wishes,

Bernd