[meteorite-list] LETTER FROM EBAY

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 26 09:37:30 2004

After reporting to ebay an obvious fake listed on ebay
 I get this response. Thought that some of you might
be interested. There is no doubt whatsoever that what
I was reporting was a fake. Read em and weep.
Cheers
DEAN

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write us. We know
your time is
valuable
and we appreciate your taking a moment to express
concern over this
particular item.

Since eBay does not possess or examine the items that
are listed on our
site, we are not in the best position to judge the
legality or
authorized nature of the item for auction. This means
that we cannot
remove items, such as the one you have reported. Of
course there may be
occasions where we do act on items such as these, but
only in extreme
circumstances.

We truly appreciate your knowledge about these types
of items, however,
we often cannot remove items based on representations
of third parties.
The reason for this is because we can not
independently verify the
credentials and accuracy of the information that is
provided by third
parties. As a result of this, unless the item is, in
our judgement,
plainly prohibited by law or by our own rules, we
instead rely on help
from government agencies for an authoritative view on
the legality of a
particular auction.

However, I can suggest, if you would like, you can
contact the
appropriate government or law enforcement agency
regarding this issue.
eBay has a longstanding policy of providing full
cooperation with law
enforcement agencies and we will gladly assist them in
an investigation
of unlawful conduct.

Again, thank you for your report. We appreciate your
help in keeping
eBay a safe and reputable forum to conduct business.