[meteorite-list] q on storing micromounts

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 22 15:37:59 2004

Of course! Vinyl Chlorides! - that answers a long standing question I
have had.. I was wondering why a some Micro's I had in Foam (sponge)
cases where rusting and all the others in membranes etc and out in the
open were all fine (even ones from the same fall).

========
Maybe there is many different sponge kinds, becouse as I say to Drtanuki,
half of my
collection is in this boxes from a years without opening and pieces are
fine. And I live
in Poland, not in south of Libia. I hold there irons, chondrites,
achondrites and nothing
rust here.

I especially found that small Gao's stored in boxes with foam stain the
foam with rust over time, and those that aren't don't!

=======
I have Gao in boxes with sponge. El Hammami slice, Pultusk endpieces, Mt
Tazerzait slice
and other H5 :)))

There certainly appeared to be some reaction with the foam. I have
noticed that yellow foam was far worse than the white foam?, presumably
different Plastics are used, chlorides would be the reason!

========
I dont know how this looks on other boxes, but here You have special
material on foam
layer, so meteorite not contact to foam directly. Just look to my photos.

Anyway I will not change my opinion. Boxes are perfect, and many times
cheaper than
membrane boxes or other things

~~~~[ MARCIN CIMALA ]~~~~[ GG 4742912 ]~~~~
http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195
~~~~~~[ Member of Polish Meteoritical Society ]~~~~~~