[meteorite-list] curious....

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 21 13:53:55 2004

Dear Dave and List,

The reason I am so upset about fraud is that it directly affects the value
of our collection and takes some of the fun away from the avocation. I will
give you a few examples:

I recently traded with a well known and somewhat respected dealer. After
analyzing the material he sent I was disappointed to find it was not what he
reported it to be. When confronted he claimed another well known dealer
sold it to him. I called the other dealer to let him know what he was
distributing was bogus. He said the other dealer made it up. Now, I do not
know which one is telling the truth so I will no longer do business with
either one.

We had yet another well known dealer try to illegally interfere with one of
our auctions by calling the auction house and claiming part ownership in one
of our specimens even though we paid 100% for the specimen and have had
clear title since the beginning. The only motivation I can see for this is
pure greed and lack of a moral compass.

Total Known Weights, when reported on ebay are inaccurate about 38% of the
time.

Pairings, some of which are not correct, are being made by sight alone with
no scientific input.

Some people continue to sell terrestrial or man-made objects as meteorites
when they know differently.

Meteorites are being sold as main masses when they do not fit the criteria
even when known pairings of greater weight are known. When something is
assigned a different Name or Number even though it is paired does not make
it a main mass.

I am hoping my message will get to those who are committing fraud and help
stop this destructive practice but experience tells me otherwise. I should
not get too much into the negative aspect of this hobby and maybe I should
be pointing out who is, in my opinion, doing an honest job.

All the best,

Adam