[meteorite-list] Nevada Meteorite/Meteorwrong

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 12 02:21:30 2004

Hi Kenneth and List,

> I just got off the phone with Robert Szep . He did return my call !
> He has specimens sent to a university being tested . It seems he is
> convinced it is a meteorite but I will wait to hear the lab
> results expected out in about one month he says .

It doesn't take a month, a week, a day, or even an hour to determine
if a specimen of this size is a meteorite or not. Having seen the
pictures, I'd initially pronounce it as 99% likely to be terrestrial.
My next test would be bulk density, which can be estimated pretty
rapidly with dimensions and a hand calculator. If the density comes
out below 7.5 g/cc, you have your proof that it's not an iron
meteorite. My guess is that it will be 5 or less. --Rob