[meteorite-list] Need ideas for numbering collection

From: greg Edwards <edwardsg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 10 17:08:46 2004

I am a begining collector, so I would like to know what others are doing.

I am giving each meteorite an accession number, starting with M001.
Tektites are Txx

I am recording what I have in a spreadsheet with the following column headings:
Accession Number
Meteorite Name
Class (Iron, Stone, CC, etc.)
Type (Coarse Octahedrite, Ordinary Chondrite-Olivine Bronzite, etc.)
Group (IAB, CV, etc.)
Petrologic Type (Og, 3, etc.)
Shock
Weathering
Slice or Fragment or Whole
Size
Mount (Micromount, Bag, Ryker box, etc.)
Location of Fall
Date of Fall (if known)
Date of Discovery
Label
Photos (do I have photos of this?)
Articles (do I have copies of articles on this item?)
Chrondrites (0-10 in tems of quality or interest)
Interesting (0-10 - how interesting is this item)
Obtained When
Obtained From
Price
Notes

Not all columns make sense for all times of items, but it is
adaptable. I have changed/added a bit since I restarted a year or so
ago (I built a small collection about 20years ago).

Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

Greg Edwards