[meteorite-list] Request for the List Admin

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 8 23:16:22 2004

Bob and List,

However it got here, I just wanted to say the first virus my computer has
contracted in years, was removed promptly a couple of days ago: The same
W32.BeagleX... that Bob Verish also received and cleaned, so it looks pretty
convincing to me that this is independent confirmation of being list related.
Saludos Doug

Hello Art,

As you well know, I've been exchanging messages with
you off-List about all of the problems with Archives
ever since you changed service providers. Most of
those problems were about how all of the List Archive
messages now have a new URL and all have been
renumbered, causing links to be broken if you use
those URLs in a web page. Luckily Google has those
Archived messages "cached", but it is impossible to
fix the links on our web pages if we don't know the
new "message number"!

I understand that your service provider has no
interest in resolving that problem, but now you have
another problem which can't be ignored:

You will need to go into the server archives and
remove all the messages that have virus attachments.

The manner in which your service provider is handling
attachments to List posts (by publishing a link to the
infected attachment) is exposing the public to the
possiblity of infection.

For example:

[meteorite-list] Re: Document
>http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2004-July/142358.html>

[meteorite-list] Re: Document
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2004-July/142359.html>

[meteorite-list] Site changes
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2004-July/142360.html>

Scan type: Realtime Protection Scan
Event: Virus Found!
Virus name: W32.Beagle.X at mm
Action taken: Clean failed : Delete failed : Access
denied
Date found: Thu Jul 08 13:21:06 2004
Bob Verish