[meteorite-list] Just observed bright meteor (fireball?) outside Tucson!

From: minador <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 7 23:24:26 2004

Hello List,

About 7:45 (~3:45 GMT) I witnessed a bright meteor bearing ~270 degrees at
an altitude of ~70? down to ~45?. I can't estimate a brightness, but the
sun
had been down ~20 minutes and the sky was still fairly bright blue. About
10 minutes later I thought to look at Jupiter, and it was much brighter than
Jupiter. The meteor was a brilliant white/blue and I could see a few pieces
come off, but nothing major. This whole event took ~3 to occur. Did it
most likely burn up at high altitude? Would this be called a fireball since
it was very bright?

Is there somewhere I should report this? I was pretty excited at the time
and was trying to point it out to my dad. Certainly others in the Tucson
area saw this, especially since it was in the area close to Jupiter. Any
other sky observers out there who saw this?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Bowling
Vail, AZ (Southeast of Tucson)