AW: [meteorite-list] Shirokovsky

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 6 05:34:52 2004

Dear Frederic,

A lot has been written about this "pseudo-pallasite". The most important reports can be found under the following links:

www.meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/ <http://www.meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/shirokovsky.pdf> shirokovsky.pdf
http://www.geokhi.ru/~meteorit/shirokovsky1-e.html

Also look into the list archive. There are a lot of postings on this matter.

I think the situation is rather clear: this Shirosovky material has never been in space as:

1. cosmogenic nuclides are virtually absent (must have been a very-very-very large meteoroid not fitting through a 42 cm hole in the ice)
2. noble gas isotopic composition is unlike those of pallasites
3. bulk chemistry is unlike pallasites
4. trace element ratios are rather terrestrial
5. contained olivine crystallized under oxidizing conditions (never heard of asteroid-size parent bodies)
6. cosmic-ray tracks i olivine not present (never seen in pallasites)
7. TL data different from pallasitic olivine (rather terrestrial)
8. oxygen isotopic composition = terrestrial

Putting it together, the strongest evidence against a cosmic origin are points 5 and 8 of the above list.

J?rn

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----