[meteorite-list] Opportunity Rolls Onto Martian Ground

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:11 2004

--part1_14e.296c1c19.2d4d77b7_boundary

The 90 days starts counting from egress if you want to be a stickler. The
"Rovers were designed for 90 days of surface operations." according to N.A.&
S.A.'s JPL. So 9 months to a year is probably what they are hoping for.

The specification is the lower limit. NASA is always conservative on the
lower limit, so they look good, just like everyone else does when they give your
golf cart a 7 year 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I would expect double the
time as an expectation if no big problems happen. And if all doesn't go
well, the warranty doesn't cover it anyway. And NASA deserves to look good, too.
This is the standard we like to hold them too, afterall. Hopefully the Rover
Teams can continue the dynasty.

Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 are currently 26 years or so into their missions, and
were scheduled to go to Jupiter and Saturn. Voyager 1 then hobbled at the
fasted relative speed ever achieved by macro human machines, and is well over
twice as far a Pluto now at 90 AU, the furthest human made thing in the
universe. Voyager 2, just a bit slower, now well over 70 AU, continued in the Solar
System plane beyond to inspire us with photogenic visits of Uranus and
Neptune. Both crafts are good for at least 15 more years if all goes right. That's
where the "Solar Wind" begins to merge with the intersteller Milky Way medium.
 Voyager 1 is thought to be at "termination shock" now. That's a rough
indicator of the heliopause location and is turbulent and different. So you could
Say V1 is stepping out of the nest. Unfortunately the solar wind instrument
is dead so we can't tell for sure. The Deep Space network is still
communicating quite well with Voyagers, I think daily, and power is fine thanks to the
plutonium dioxide generators. That came in handy for some non-routine
maintenance bout two years ago when the backup navegation system was activated after
problems with the primary.

Mars Rover has solar cells. So it probably will fall in a ditch before dying
of old age of natural causes. You can compare it to Pathfinder, too:
"Launched on December 4, 1996, Pathfinder reached Mars on July 4, 1997, directly
entering the planet's atmosphere and bouncing on inflated airbags as a technology
demonstration of a new way to deliver a lander and rover to Mars. The lander
operated nearly three times its design lifetime of 30 days, while the rover
operated 12 times its design lifetime of seven days.

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

In a message dated 1/31/2004 3:18:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmarsocci_at_cox.net writes:

> Subj:Re: [meteorite-list] Opportunity Rolls Onto Martian Ground
> Date:1/31/2004 3:18:42 PM Eastern Standard Time
> From:dmarsocci_at_cox.net
> To:meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Ron,
>
> Although the rovers are designed for 90 days of Martian surface work, have
> there been any speculations if they are to exceed that due to the positive
> deployments thus far?
>
> Also, out of that "90 days" - is that considered to start from the time of
> landing or is another measurement being used.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Marsocci

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">The 90 days starts counting from eg=
ress if you want to be a stickler.&nbsp; The "Rovers were designed for 90 da=
ys of surface operations." according to N.A.&amp;S.A.'s JPL.&nbsp; So 9 mont=
hs to a year is probably what they are hoping for.<BR>
<BR>
The specification is the lower limit.&nbsp; NASA is always conservative on t=
he lower limit, so they look good, just like everyone else does when they gi=
ve your golf cart a 7 year 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty.&nbsp; I would ex=
pect double the time as an expectation if no big problems happen.&nbsp; And=20=
if all doesn't go well, the warranty doesn't cover it anyway.&nbsp; And NASA=
 deserves to look good, too.&nbsp; This is the standard we like to hold them=
 too, afterall.&nbsp; Hopefully the Rover Teams can continue the dynasty. <B=

<BR>
Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 are currently 26 years or so into their missions, an=
d were scheduled to go to Jupiter and Saturn.&nbsp; Voyager 1 then hobbled a=
t the fasted relative speed ever achieved by macro human machines, and is we=
ll over twice as far a Pluto now at 90 AU, the furthest human made thing in=20=
the universe.&nbsp; Voyager 2, just a bit slower, now well over 70 AU, conti=
nued in the Solar System plane beyond&nbsp; to inspire us with photogenic vi=
sits of Uranus and Neptune.&nbsp; Both crafts are good for at least 15 more=20=
years if all goes right.&nbsp; That's where the "Solar Wind" begins to merge=
 with the intersteller Milky Way medium.&nbsp; Voyager 1 is thought to be at=
 "termination shock" now.&nbsp; That's a rough indicator of the heliopause l=
ocation and is turbulent and different.&nbsp; So you could Say V1 is steppin=
g out of the nest.&nbsp; Unfortunately the solar wind instrument is dead so=20=
we can't tell for sure.&nbsp; The Deep Space network is still communicating=20=
quite well with Voyagers, I think daily, and power is fine thanks to the plu=
tonium dioxide generators.&nbsp; That came in handy for some non-routine mai=
ntenance bout two years ago when the backup navegation system was activated=20=
after problems with the primary.<BR>
<BR>
Mars Rover has solar cells.&nbsp; So it probably will fall in a ditch before=
 dying of old age of natural causes.&nbsp; You can compare it to Pathfinder,=
 too:&nbsp; "Launched on December 4, 1996, Pathfinder reached Mars on July 4=
, 1997, directly entering the planet's atmosphere and bouncing on inflated a=
irbags as a technology demonstration of a new way to deliver a lander and ro=
ver to Mars. The lander operated nearly three times its design lifetime of 3=
0 days, while the rover operated 12 times its design lifetime of seven days.=
 <BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
Mexico<BR>
<BR>
    <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 1/31/2004 3:18:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, dmarsocci_at_cox=
.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Subj:<B>Re: [meteorite-list] Op=
portunity Rolls Onto Martian Ground </B><BR>