[meteorite-list] Preventing rust

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:10 2004

--0-95037298-1075307208=:41148

Hi

I had a problem a while back with a couple of ordinary chondrites rusting. I followed the advise offered on Meteorites Australia and would like to recommend the process to other people.

http://www.meteoritesaustralia.com/odds&ends/ironrust.html

After polishing the specimens using distilled water I simply got an old jam jar, filled it with methylated spirit, added about a table spoon of caustic soda (both available from DIY stores), added the meteorite and left it for about 10 days. This process has, so far, made the specimens much more stable. When carrying out this process be sure to wear disposable gloves. Skin and caustic soda don't mix too well.

Aubrey

---------------------------------
BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80
--0-95037298-1075307208=:41148

<DIV>
<DIV>Hi </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I had a problem a while back with a couple of ordinary chondrites rusting.&nbsp; I followed the advise offered on Meteorites Australia and would like to recommend the process to other people.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.meteoritesaustralia.com/odds&amp;ends/ironrust.html">http://www.meteoritesaustralia.com/odds&amp;ends/ironrust.html</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After polishing the specimens using distilled water I simply got an old jam jar, filled it with methylated spirit, added about a table spoon of caustic soda (both available from DIY stores), added the meteorite and left it for about 10 days.&nbsp; This process has, so far, made the specimens much more stable.&nbsp; When carrying out this process be sure to wear disposable gloves.&nbsp; Skin and caustic soda don't mix too well.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, <a href="http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21064/*http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk">sign up online</a> today and save £80</font>
--0-95037298-1075307208=:41148--