[meteorite-list] A few things that may be of interest

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:09 2004

Dear List Members,

First of all, congratulations to NASA who has had its hands full managing
several missions at once for the successful landing of Opportunity. That
outcrop of bedrock image sure looks enticing, can hardly wait for some high
resolution images of it! I could imagine walking over there and chipping of
some samples with a geology hammer. I guess Opportunity will have to serve
as eyes for us stuck here on Earth. I will hazard a guess just for fun and
assume this outcrop is volcanic but will be floored if it is sedimentary
deposited by water.

The second thing is a little bit of mischief we were engaged in. We
recently posted three images of rocks the other day for fun. As some of you
have already surmised the third image is not of a meteorite. It is a
beautiful breccia that I found three years ago while searching for
meteorites in some glacial till. Since there is a dealer who always claims
to have the same material we do after we announce something we figured we
would throw out some bait. He half swallowed the hook and said he thinks he
has some of this lunar material and asked where we found it. Unless he has
been to Washington State, USA, 20 miles from my house he is not telling the
truth. The funny thing is we even said in the posting that it was a US
find. A few other List members were engaged in this experiment. This
demonstrates that the vast majority of List members know what they are
talking about when identifying meteorites as we received several emails
asking about its meteoritic status. We never claimed it was a meteorite to
begin with and it goes to show that some will go to any length to be
competitive.

The final thing is that we changed the date of the Wilcox Dry Lake hunt to
Sunday the 8th because most of you will not be in Tucson until that weekend
and the Pitt auction has been canceled. It also rained there recently so we
want to give it a few more days to dry out. The good thing is that rain
sometimes washes out meteoritic material making it much easier to find. We
are all meeting in front of the Reeds room (Rm. 110 at the Vagabond Inn) at
9:30 am that Sunday. Wilcox is about a one hour drive from Tucson. Bring
yourselves, a good magnet, some bellywash and lunch. We will bring some
coolers and a barbecue. Over a dozen List members have expressed an
interest in going so it should be a heck of a lot of fun, everybody will be
welcomed.

We will make a few more announcements soon so stay tuned.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185