[meteorite-list] Rover Team Readies For Second Landing While Trying to Mend Spirit

From: Greg redfern <gredfern_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:08 2004

All,

  If I may...Spirit is still positioned in front of Adirondack. It was =
not
hit by a meteorite, suffer a coronal mass ejection radiation event or =
any
other type of external incident.=20

  Personal telecon w/JPL/MER managers has revealed that they DO NOT know
what has happened and are trying through fault tree analysis coupled =
with
engineering/health telemetry from Spirit to recreate the precipitating =
event
using the almost one for one rover they have for a test bed.

  Power and thermal protection systems are currently nominal. JPL is =
trying
to command Spirit to power down its computer and go into sleep mode =
which it
has not done for the past several nights. This is causing Spirit to use =
more
power than expected and is causing a drain on the batteries.

  The spacecraft is alive, being commanded from Earth and has sent back =
over
75MB of data today when Odyssey flew over. The team is trying to put the
pieces together in such a way as to cause no harm to Spirit. They have
plenty of time to analyze and fix this anomaly...

   Remember, every major spacecraft mission has had its glitches and our
team is pretty darn good at solving them. Time and telemetry will tell.

All the best

Greg Redfern
JPL NASA Solar System Ambassador
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/index.html