[meteorite-list] UK Fall statistics..

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:05 2004

Hi,

Someone said to me a while ago, that the UK (i.e Great Britain and
Ireland) is 'overdue' for a meteorite fall.

 Whilst I realize it is in theory a reasonably random event, for a bit
of fun I decided to have a look at the figures, Here is what I found:

There have been 19 confirmed falls in the UK since 1623. I worked out
the number of years between each fall and plotted them onto a graph, To
my surprise it appears to follow a sinusoidal pattern ? ...=20

See : http://www.freewebs.com/fordmeteorites/UKFALLS.jpg

The average time between falls is 11.8 Years. (It must be coincidence
but 11.8 years is one of the solar cycles! And I think something to do
with Jupiter perihelion?)=20

So it indeed appears we (UK) are 'over due' for a fall, statistically
anyway, especially since it was 22 years between the last two and 17
years since the last one and they should average 11.8 years.

my God ,I must be bored :)

Mark Ford

---
The information contained in this email may be commercially sensitive =
and/or
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it =
is
addressed. If you are not a named recipient, you are on notice of its =
status.
Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete =
this
message from your system. You must not disclose it to any other person,
copy or distribute it or use it for any purpose.