[meteorite-list] completing a purchase

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:05 2004

If it is a private individual who contacted you with a
deal thats to good to be true I would be wary. If it
is one of the 3 dealers farmer mentioned earlier you
can feel safe as I have spent thousands of dollars
with them (I even stay at Rodrigos house when in Chile
- really nice guy). I have herd a dozen or more
stories from people who sent money to Morocco to buy
some NWAs really cheap (Always under 10 cents a gram)
and whom they never herd from again after sending the
money and nobody in Morocco ever herd of them either
(A couple of the people who got scammed were customers
of mine and I tried to help them out by doing a little
research so I am familiar with those scams). Maybe you
can check phone listings or something to see if they
real people - although that is not as easy to do as it
is in North America and could well not be possible.
Try getting their phone number and calling them. You
should be able to make a 10 minute phone call to
anywhere in south america using a phone card for $5 or
less. Might be worth it.
There are some people in Africa scamming offering Gao
meteorites also.
I am not familiar with any major scams involving
meteorites in South America so I cant give you any
specific warnings of what to look for in this regard.
If they are the ones who contacted you first the you
can try to get them to send you the rocks before
receiving payment. After all, they know who you are
and should have more trust of you.
Just an idea
Hope this helps.
Cheers
DEAN
www.meteoriteshop.com

--- Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net>