[meteorite-list] Re: Dronino rust

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:03 2004

Hi John and all,
Dronino is a tough one. I bought a small slice from Serguei Vasiliev 6
months ago and it's still just fine without any rust treatment. Then I went
ahead and got one of Ivan's (finmet) slices on eBay for a great price,
also untreated. By the time it arrived rust has started to work its way
again across the cut faces. I immediately started Steve Schoner's
sodium hydroxide treatment (left it in about 3 weeks), then cleaned and
repolished. It's been about 3 months and the slice is still rust-free. I'll
see what happens in another 6 months.
Crossing my fingers,
Bob