[meteorite-list] Re: OT: MOON TRAVEL?

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:01 2004

> Hello List, Does anyone know if we but a base on the Moon, how will we
get
> there? Can we look forward to seeing a new Rocket, or would we rely on the
> shuttle? It is time for a new form of space travel!!!

>From the Presidential "Fact Sheet: A Renewed Spirit of Discovery"

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/01/20040114-1.html

"Second, the United States will begin developing a new manned exploration
vehicle to explore beyond our orbit to other worlds -- the first of its kind
since the Apollo Command Module. The new spacecraft, the Crew Exploration
Vehicle, will be developed and tested by 2008 and will conduct its first
manned mission no later than 2014. The Crew Exploration Vehicle will also be
capable of transporting astronauts and scientists to the International Space
Station after the Shuttle is retired."

This is vague whether it will be something self-propellant, or use an
existing expendible rocket type for launch. Yet it does make clear that it
will be curtains for Space Shuttle. The same "fact sheet" mentions that the
Shuttles will remain operative with the purpose of finishing building the
ISS, and will then be retired.

 - Marco

------
Dr Marco Langbroek