[meteorite-list] Mexican alcohol

From: LJnewpers_at_aol.com <LJnewpers_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:01 2004

Just wanted to add my two pesos worth re: alcohol from Mexico. I travel ther=
e=20
6-8 times/year (we have a small house in Kino Bay). I too purchase the Puro=20
de ca=F1a, sin desnaturalizar, 96%. Translated that is pure 96% cane alcohol=
, not=20
denatured. In other words, OK to consume. Good side is that if your meteorit=
e=20
work is getting frustrating, you can take a wee nip to sooth your nerves.=20
HOWEVER, I can't recommend it - it's pure fire. And very dangerous to use as=
 a=20
cutting fluid. One small hot spot or spark and you're perhaps looking at=20
re-building your shop or house.

As MexicoDoug pointed out, you are allowed one liter of alcoholic beverage=20
per adult (18 or over) per day into the States. The alcohol falls under the=20=
same=20
rule, so you cannot purchase one liter of alcohol and one liter of tequila=20
and legally transport them both into the States. Another good side here. If=20=
you=20
do try, and get caught, you can pour the alcohol into your gas (not diesel)=20
tank and your engine will run smooth as can be. And yes, the price of tequil=
a=20
has more than doubled in the past few years and though still less expensive=20=
than=20
most places in the States, it's not cheap - not even the poor stuff let alon=
e=20
a high quality reposada.

Larry Johnson