[meteorite-list] crust on Meteorites on Mars ?

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:00 2004

Hello List,

A few comments (perhaps naive speculations) on statements by Francis
(Graham), Sterling (Webb) and Robert (Wolard) about meteorites on Mars.

1) I assume (unless I miss something important) that a meteorite falling on
Mars would not carry any kind of fusion crust because of the particular tiny
atmosphere (friction and melting minimized or nil, especially if oxygen is
hardly present). As a consequence, if Spirit would start examining Mars
"rocks", the examination should not be based on any of their external
aspects because a meteorite (from a place other than Mars) would not show
any external difference if compared to any other Mars rock. This is
similarly true from a rock ejected from Mars as meteorite and falling again
on Mars (3% according to data reported by Sterling)=20
This would be even more valid if the rocks were brought eventually on Earth
through any means.=20
In other words, detecting a ameteorite among oll those rocks would imply the
use of sophisticated measurements (either in situ in Gusev, in this case or,
later, on Earth) such as, e.g. the age of each rock, or composition or...
I agree with Francis that this would be an interesting task and if, by
chance, one of those rocks proves to be a meteorite, its fusion crust (that
is, to some extent, another kind of planet-specific weathering) would be
very interesting to compare with any of terrestrial fusion crusts found on
meteorites. The fusion crust would a priori be characteristic of the
atmosphere composition and density of a given planet (although many other
factors such as meteorite speed etc... would also contrubute).=20

2) Regarding the computer simulation of rocks knocked off planets (data
reported by Sterling), the tables show the percentages of chunks ejected
from Earth, Moon and Mars, on Mars. Indeed, Mars is supposed to receive only
0.1% ejecta from Earth/Moon and 3% from itself.=20
But these data do not report the % of meteorites coming from ("nearby")
asteroid belt. Here I agree with Robert Woolard that there should be MANY,
at least (far) more than on Earth.=20
For a mission examining (or bringing back to Earth) Mars rocks, chances that
the latter include some "old good ordinary chondrite" from asteroid parent
bodies can then be at least larger than if this is achieved on Earth, though
probably very very small. Unless the mission is able to pick up a specific
true meteorite through some "visual" selection such as the above mentioned
fusion crust (if any formed on Mars) in a way the meteorite hunters do on
Earth's deserts ? Tricky probability indeed....

Am I missing something ?

Regards,

Zelimir

--------