[meteorite-list] Inclusion

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:00 2004

Bernhard, Tett, List,

If it is carbon, we most probably deal with graphite (as often seen into
e.g. Canon Diablo). Graphite can be tested by various physico-chemical
methods but the simplest tests can be the following:

1) If the surface is large enough, it should prove "greasy" through passing
your finger on it. This may however be not so conclusive and a side test on
a genuine graphite helps.

2) If possible, try to rub the inclusion on a white sheet of paper (or
reverse). Graphite, like a pancil, would leave a gray streak.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Zelimir

>This looks more like a carbon. If I were a betting man I would bet on a
>carbon xenolith and not some impact melt .
>
>It may be large enough to test. Someone else on the list may know of an
>easy way to determine if this is carbon.
>
>Cheers,
>
>tett
>Owen Sound, Ontario (1/2 a meter of snow today!! Skiing here we go ;>))
>

>----- Original Message -----=20

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe S=E9curit=E9 et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15