[meteorite-list] marines....OT

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:59 2004

Exceedingly well said, Paul, and Doug,

I was in the process of writing a response to Bernhard's myopically
opinionated
letter when your responses were posted. You've said everything that I
wanted
to say and then some. And you said it much better.

I personally know quite a few people who are currently serving in the
various
branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. I heartily agree with your
observation that
the reasons for people serving in the military can be as diverse as the
people
themselves.

Things have changed considerably since the days when I served. Back then a
big reason for a lot of the people being in the service was conscription
(the
dreaded draft, or threat therof). The 'all volunteer' concept that we
currently
operate under is probably better, as long as sufficient numbers can be
enticed
to join.

I will say though, in retrospect, that the act of pulling a lot of us
young heathens
off the streets and out of colleges where we were perpetually flunking
everything
(mostly due to heavy-duty partying) was most certainly a life changing
event for
the majority of us. It makes much better men and women of those who don't
'flunk out' of the military (and that used to be a really hard thing to
do- the
standards are set much higher nowadays). I think one of the causative
factors
for the moral compass of the nation generally going south was the draft
being
discontinued. The military sure has a great way of shaping up boneheads.

Thank you both, Paul and Doug, for your resounding defense of our nation's
military personnel. They are a special breed.

A veteran of the "old" wars (but still ready to go again, perhaps a tad
slower
next time),

West Texas Jerry