[meteorite-list] Asteroid warning, future impact, and panic

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:29 2004

Hi,

    What you've got to remember is that even the most sophisticated computer modeling is, at heart, just highly refined
guesswork! Not only do we not have actual experience with impacts, if one actually happened tomorrow, there would be
nobody on hand to observe it scientifically, take measurements of pressure waves, etc.
    We guess by scaling up from observed nuclear events and scaling down from inferences drawn from the remains of great
impacts of the past. Another data deficiency is a fortunate one: our atmosphere screens us from the smaller objects. By
smaller, I mean up to big H-bomb size. The Defense Department detects a number of Hiroshima-sized events in the atmosphere
and every few years an H-bomb-sized event, all of which our atmosphere prevents us from observing more closely!
    Volcanoes like Krakatoa and Tamboru provide models for the effect of dust in the atmosphere, but they are not a
perfect match for impact debris, which is finer grained and boosted into the atmosphere more energetically than volcanic
ash and dust.
    So it's all ballparking, matching the scales of various effects.
    If you're going to be practical about the danger of impacts, you have to acknowledge that smallish and medium impacts
are statistically much more likely to happen than large and very large ones. Moreover, there's lots we can do to deal with
medium ones and very little we can do about large ones.
    True, the big ones make better movies (sometimes) and more entertaining novels, but the 100 megaton event is ten times
more likely than the 1000 megaton event, and the 1000 megaton event is ten times more likely than the 10,000 megaton
event.
     As for warning us ordinary folk about potential impacts, a friend of mine to whom I told the story of the warning
dilemma that has been discussed here on the List, replied, "Sure glad we slept thru armageddon again. Nothing would annoy
me more than to have my last nite's sleep on earth disturbed by a bunch of sirens and [censored]heads running around!"
    I regard the "panic" rationale that has become a cliché since the invention of nuclear weapons and the start of the
Cold War as a totally unsubstantiated assumption, prized by the U. S. government and widely promoted by media. I think
it's ridiculous that the government believes in the notion that when the populace is confronted by a serious event, they
respond by squawking like chickens and throwing themselves off tall buildings.
    It was the belief in "panic" in the population that led the U. S. government to bury a small-city-sized bomb shelter
in the Virginia hills so that bureaucrats from the IRS, the post office, and other government departments could survive
total nuclear war and then return to the surface of the Earth in their grey suits to collect taxes from, and deliver mail
to, the scarred, starving, and mutated survivors.
    The notion of "panic" as the most likely public response to trouble can be traced to the 1938 "War Of The Worlds"
broadcast, of course, and the notion has been popular with U. S. authorities ever since, as always desirous of protecting
us from ourselves. Strange, then, that the U. S. populace has managed to deal with everything from World War II to 9-11
without a lot of panic.
    In all probability, it is the government's fear of causing "panic" that forces the Office of Homeland Security to
present itself to the public in a manner that has most people regarding it more as a Clown Bureau than anything to be
taken seriously (unless, of course, they really are just clowns).
    So, until the Martians land in New Jersey with their Heat Rays, let's not worry first about "panic" amongst the
populace.

Sterling K. Webb