[meteorite-list] Large Impact Event Survival (HOPE)

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:28 2004

--part1_1da.1b0cca53.2d6f6fe0_boundary

Dirk,=20

No need to be so negative about humanity. Change is change and crap happens=
,=20
inevitably once in a while. Your observation about "third world countries"=20
was interesting. That is what I would like to address in the following nove=
l=20
which would be my prediction.

I speculate just the opposite would happen. Most "third world" countries=20
can't even manage to feed themselves now with sustinance agriculture. Hunte=
rs=20
gatherers are not much different from the dinosaurs and they don't have warm=
=20
places to live or a store to buy gas masks in. Farmers in places like the U=
S=20
have large storage of grains, onions, etc., and folks like those from Hollan=
d=20
have great technology for glasshouses that could be quickly adapted. Not to=
=20
mention all the nuclear fuel "developed" countries have to combate the bigge=
st=20
problem ... cold. So in my novel, as usual the "third world" comes out losi=
ng,=20
and a good part of the "developed" world comes out well. And maybe all thos=
e=20
organic farmer types and Montana survivalists, too. Not many of them. =20
Distribution systems would become imperative and the capitalist profit motiv=
e=20
combined with the iron hand of the "tyrants" you seem to think lowly of woul=
d kick in=20
like you wouldn't believe or else we'd all face a "Prisoner's Dilemma". The=
n=20
no one could make any money anymore. There is no doubt in my mind that I'd=20
rather be in Houston if this happened. The oil companies would do superbly=20=
and=20
would have wonderful support. Oh, although Japan is a "developed" country,=20
its population would be washed off the face of the Earth, but there are so m=
any=20
Japanese expats that this would not be the end of them, as a matter of fact,=
=20
precisely those types of people are the "tyrant" types also that would help=20
put the pieces back together.

The saddest thing would be we would loose Cape Kennedy and all of Florida, a=
s=20
well as the possible the French site in NE South America.

The doomsayer scenarios in my humble opinion, are from people who have it to=
o=20
comfortable at the moment and fear change of their lifestyle, and fail to se=
e=20
the good nature of like minded people to their own "race" - the type that=20
founded the Latin American countries, US, Canada, drives middle eastern=20
countries, China and Japan for example, or if you like Ancient Greece. No m=
oral=20
decision on my part here - just what history seems to repeat, and maybe it w=
ould be=20
different in our globalized world - but my guess is not by a long shot.

Death comes to all at one time or another. If it were to be by asteroid, I=20
think I would rather look forward to surviving the new world ahead, cooperat=
e=20
for survival, and of course, like a Hurricane Party that (sometimes referred=
 to=20
as dumb) Floridians are accustomed to, I would be absolutely sure to get a=20
good view of such a spectacular event as once-in-a-lifetime doesn't do it=20
justice. My only prayer if it were certain, would be not to be too near gro=
und=20
zero. But if I were, at least I would take advantage of the ring side seat=20=
with=20
my loved ones.

Saludos
Doug Dawn
M=E9xico

En un mensaje con fecha 02/26/2004 8:45:11 AM Mexico Standard Time,=20
drtanuki_at_yahoo.com escribe:

> Sorry for the burden of knowing for those that didn`t want to know. I=20
> will take my meditation now. Sincerely, Dirk Ross....Japan

--part1_1da.1b0cca53.2d6f6fe0_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dirk, <BR>
<BR>
No need to be so negative about humanity.&nbsp; Change is change and crap ha=
ppens, inevitably once in a while.&nbsp; Your observation about "third world=
 countries" was interesting.&nbsp; That is what I would like to address in t=
he following novel which would be my prediction.<BR>
<BR>
I speculate just the opposite would happen.&nbsp; Most "third world" countri=
es can't even manage to feed themselves now with sustinance agriculture.&nbs=
p; Hunters gatherers are not much different from the dinosaurs and they don'=
t have warm places to live or a store to buy gas masks in.&nbsp; Farmers in=20=
places like the US have large storage of grains, onions, etc., and folks lik=
e those from Holland have great technology for glasshouses that could be qui=
ckly adapted.&nbsp; Not to mention all the nuclear fuel "developed" countrie=
s have to combate the biggest problem ... cold.&nbsp; So in my novel, as usu=
al the "third world" comes out losing, and a good part of the "developed" wo=
rld comes out well.&nbsp; And maybe all those organic farmer types and Monta=
na survivalists, too.&nbsp; Not many of them.&nbsp; Distribution systems wou=
ld become imperative and the capitalist profit motive combined with the iron=
 hand of the "tyrants" you seem to think lowly of would kick in like you wou=
ldn't believe or else we'd all face a "Prisoner's Dilemma".&nbsp; Then no on=
e could make any money anymore.&nbsp; There is no doubt in my mind that I'd=20=
rather be in Houston if this happened.&nbsp; The oil companies would do supe=
rbly and would have wonderful support.&nbsp; Oh, although Japan is a "develo=
ped" country, its population would be washed off the face of the Earth, but=20=
there are so many Japanese expats that this would not be the end of them, as=
 a matter of fact, precisely those types of people are the "tyrant" types al=
so that would help put the pieces back together.<BR>
<BR>
The saddest thing would be we would loose Cape Kennedy and all of Florida, a=
s well as the possible the French site in NE South America.<BR>
<BR>
The doomsayer scenarios in my humble opinion, are from people who have it to=
o comfortable at the moment and fear change of their lifestyle, and fail to=20=
see the good nature of like minded people to their own "race" - the type tha=
t founded the Latin American countries, US, Canada, drives middle eastern co=
untries, China and Japan for example, or if you like Ancient Greece.&nbsp; N=
o moral decision on my part here - just what history seems to repeat, and ma=
ybe it would be different in our globalized world - but my guess is not by a=
 long shot.<BR>
<BR>
Death comes to all at one time or another.&nbsp; If it were to be by asteroi=
d, I think I would rather look forward to surviving the new world ahead, coo=
perate for survival, and of course, like a Hurricane Party that (sometimes r=
eferred to as dumb) Floridians are accustomed to, I would be absolutely sure=
 to get a good view of such a spectacular event as once-in-a-lifetime doesn'=
t do it justice.&nbsp; My only prayer if it were certain, would be not to be=
 too near ground zero.&nbsp; But if I were, at least I would take advantage=20=
of the ring side seat with my loved ones.<BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
M=E9xico<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 02/26/2004 8:45:11 AM Mexico Standard Time, drtanuki=
_at_yahoo.com escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&nbsp;&nbsp; Sorry for the burd=
en of knowing for those that didn`t want to know.&nbsp; I will take my medit=
ation now.&nbsp; Sincerely, Dirk Ross....Japan</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1da.1b0cca53.2d6f6fe0_boundary--