[meteorite-list] Kaalijarv Postcards, was "ephemera" thread

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:27 2004

------=_NextPart_001_001E_01C3FAEF.891701E0

Pekka wrote: "Well, the post-card sure is before WW II era, after 1945 no=
 cards also
with russian text was issued in Estonia before the next independence =20
in 90:s. Not much cards this kind was issued during the war, so it should
be from between 1937 - 1940."

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/postcardsestonia.html =20

Thanks for the note, Pekka. That would fit better for the postdated one=
 with the white border, I thought a few were earlier, but the postdate tr=
icked me. In the United States, most postcards produced during this peri=
od were the airbrushed linen postcards and it would be almost until the l=
ate 1940's before the photo postcards were common. And another 10 years =
before the Kodak color postcards, photo postcards of any quality were pro=
duced. In meteorite postcards, Frasher's made Meteor Crater postcards wi=
th nice photos...but a much less quality of postcard then the Estonia car=
ds around and after 1950. Strange that US postcard producers were so far=
 behind the European counterparts.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_001E_01C3FAEF.891701E0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Pekka wrote: "Well, the post-card sure is before WW=
 II era, after 1945 no cards also<BR>with russian text was issued in Esto=
nia before the next independence <BR>in 90:s. Not much cards this kind wa=
s issued during the war, so it should<BR>be from between 1937 - 1940."</D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.=
meteoritearticles.com/postcardsestonia.html">http://www.meteoritearticles=
com/postcardsestonia.html</A>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>T=
hanks for the note, Pekka.&nbsp;&nbsp; That would fit better&nbsp;for the=
 postdated one&nbsp;with the white border, I thought a few were earlier, =
but the postdate tricked me.&nbsp; In the United States, most postcards p=
roduced during this period were the airbrushed linen postcards and it wou=
ld be almost until the late 1940's before the photo postcards were common=
&nbsp; And another 10 years before the Kodak color postcards, photo post=
cards of any quality were produced.&nbsp; In meteorite postcards, Frasher=
's made Meteor Crater postcards with nice photos...but a much less qualit=
y of postcard then the Estonia cards around and after 1950.&nbsp; Strange=
 that US postcard producers were so far behind the European counterparts.=
</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Mark Bostick</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"http://w=
ww.meteoritearticles.com">www.meteoritearticles.com</A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;=
</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_001E_01C3FAEF.891701E0--