[meteorite-list] Kaalijarv Postcards, was "ephemera" thread

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:27 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C3FAA4.93B81080

Hello Gregory and list,
Gregory wrote "...A number of meteorite stamps, postcards of the Brenham =
and Kallijarv meteorites, etc., maybe stuff to put on your meteorite shel=
f to give a little added visual spice. For anyone still reading....have f=
un!"
And from Gregory's Kallijarv crater postcard auction, eBay Item number: 2=
228123616.
"The only one of these I've ever seen! A black-and-white postcard of a Ka=
alijarv meteorite crater, a fine octahedrite iron found in Estonia. There=
 is no way to date this postcard (not without an Estonian-postcard expert=
's analysis, anyway!) but from the photograph and the card stock, I'd be =
surprised if this piece is any more recent than 1950 or so. The Kaalijarv=
 meteorite fell thousands of years ago, but was not discovered and identi=
fied as meteoritc until 1937. Multiple craters were discovered, and this =
picture obviously shows one such crater"
While I am not an expert on Estonian postcards......I have been playing w=
ith postcards a little the last year.
You are correct on the postcard era, it is early 1940's I believe. (The m=
ain crater was discovered in 1827 and was a popular recreational spot bec=
ause of the lake that was in the center...being it is the lowest spot for=
 many miles, this lake is shown on your postcard. I think your postcard i=
s quite rare as postcard quality rapidly improved in the 1940's and with =
the military action in Estonia, I can't imagine too many postcards on the=
 crater being made...other then that one and the few I have linked below.=
 (And as a short note to my American friends, Estonia is located under Bo=
snia)
Please see my following webpage for more on the Kaalijarv postcards. =20
<http://www.meteoritearticles.com/postcardsestonia.html>
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C3FAA4.93B81080

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D1=
> <P><FONT size=3D2>Hello Gregory and list,</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>=
Gregory wrote "...A number of meteorite stamps, postcards of the Brenham =
and Kallijarv meteorites, etc., maybe stuff to put on your meteorite shel=
f to give a little added visual spice. For anyone still reading....have f=
un!"</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>And from Gregory's Kallijarv crater pos=
tcard auction, eBay Item number: 2228123616.</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2=
>"The only one of these I've ever seen! A black-and-white postcard of a K=
aalijarv meteorite crater, a fine octahedrite iron found in Estonia. Ther=
e is no way to date this postcard (not without an Estonian-postcard exper=
t's analysis, anyway!) but from the photograph and the card stock, I'd be=
 surprised if this piece is any more recent than 1950 or so. The Kaalijar=
v meteorite fell thousands of years ago, but was not discovered and ident=
ified as meteoritc until 1937. Multiple craters were discovered, and this=
 picture obviously shows one such crater"</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>Wh=
ile I am not an expert on Estonian postcards......I have been playing wit=
h postcards a little the last year.</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>You are =
correct on the postcard era, it is early 1940's I believe. (The main crat=
er was discovered in 1827 and was a popular recreational spot because of =
the lake that was in the center...being it is the lowest spot for many mi=
les, this lake is shown on your postcard. I think your postcard is quite =
rare as postcard quality rapidly improved in the 1940's and with the mili=
tary action in Estonia, I can't imagine too many postcards on the crater =
being made...other then that one and the few I have linked below. (And as=
 a short note to my American friends, Estonia is located under Bosnia)</F=
ONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>Please see my following webpage for more on th=
e Kaalijarv postcards. </FONT></P> <P>&lt;<A href=3D"http://www.meteorite=
articles.com/postcardsestonia.html"><FONT size=3D2>http://www.meteoritear=
ticles.com/postcardsestonia.html</FONT></A>&gt;</P> <P><FONT size=3D2>Mar=
k Bostick</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2><A href=3D"http://www.meteoriteart=
icles.com">www.meteoritearticles.com</A></FONT></FONT></P></DIV></BODY></=
HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C3FAA4.93B81080--